Galvanised rigging

Adamastor

Visit site
So I had a very unfortunate arrival back at the dock on Friday and ended up wiping my 37' plastic tuppermare horrorshow raceboat all over our neighbour's bowsprit.
I suffered a bruised ego, bent stanchion and narrowly missed a nice experience-mark in the topsides.
But he ended up with a broken bowsprit-shroud, and I'm going to replace his 50 year old 10mm plough-wire with nice new galvanised wire for him.
To finish it properly should it be tarred or linseed-oiled?

Woodlouse

Visit site
You'd best ask him how he wants it. There are various goopy substances that people recommend lagging on galvanised wire, none last very long so see if he has any maintainence rituals and do as he will continue to do.

Visit site
Good morning, might I politely suggest he considers stainless for that job?
. My gaff cutter's bowsprit shrouds and bobstay are stainless 1x19, and since they are relatively short, it's not expensive to use nice fat wire which is kinder to the feet and won't corrode.
LD

A1Sailor

Visit site
So I had a very unfortunate arrival back at the dock on Friday and ended up wiping my 37' plastic tuppermare horrorshow raceboat all over our neighbour's bowsprit.
I suffered a bruised ego, bent stanchion and narrowly missed a nice experience-mark in the topsides.
But he ended up with a broken bowsprit-shroud, and I'm going to replace his 50 year old 10mm plough-wire with nice new galvanised wire for him.
To finish it properly should it be tarred or linseed-oiled?

. My gaff cutter's bowsprit shrouds and bobstay are stainless 1x19, and since they are relatively short, it's not expensive to use nice fat wire which is kinder to the feet and won't corrode.
LD
Is this a paradox? Lyndsey Doyle responding to a question about linseed oil!!!! Lyndsey Doyle'd indeed...;)

NormanS

Visit site
LD

If his galvanised wire has lasted for 50 years, why would he want to change to stainless?

Adamastor

Visit site
His hemp-cored plough wire would have lasted another 50 if some oik (yours truly) hadn't stress-tested it!
He's one of those marina fixtures like a lateral marker which never moves...

Amulet

www.flickr.com
Stainless rigging does not last as long as galvanised. Why spend more money on a less good alternative that looks silly?