Galvanic Protector

G

Can anyone explain to me what exactly these things are supposed to do, are they any good, are they expensive and where can they be purchased?
Like many of us I am moored in a marina where every other boat is permanently linked to shore support and I am told this can lead to increased levels of corrosion.

rich

www.portofjersey.je
the safest way is, do not plugin, unless you have too.i.e. while your onboard and need power.

rich :)) Why pay, when you can do it yourself?

desG

Visit site
If the shore power earth is connected directly to the boat ground (to which the battery, engine and external metal objects are bonded) it is possible for corosion-producing galvanic currents to pass from your boat to other locally metal objects (e.g. the boat moored next to you) that are also connect to the shore power earth. By connecting a galvanic isolator (which consists of two or more back-to-back diodes), between the shore power earth and the boat earth D.C., these galvanic DC currents are blocked. They do work but some locations are more prone to problems than other (depending on what equipment etc is installed around you) – always keep an eye on the condition of your anodes. It is good advice not to leave your boat connected to shore power longer than necessary. However during the winter I was running a dehumidifier from shore power for most of the time without problems. I wouldn’t run shore power without an isolator and IMO you (and all the boats next to me!) should have one. Index Marine (tel: 01202 430149) has them. Get one rated for the current rating of your RCD. I think they are around £120.

Hope this helps.

Des

gtmoore

Visit site
They have Adverc ones at Merlin Equipment (Powerstore) for a bit less (£94.87 inc del and VAT). Their number is 01202 697979

No connection with them but very efficient service when I wanted one.