Future Plan-any ideas?

suzanne

Visit site
Just got back from Portugal and have done some serious thinking about where im heading in the future. Suddenly got all excited because not only do i know what i want to do with my life, i can see myself doing it!

In approximately 5 years time I want to move to Portugal (live) and work my way up in one of their marinas. That gives me 3 years for uni and 2 years for expanding bank account.

What i would like to know is although im excited about finally knowing where i wanna go, im a little scared. Anyone ever done anything like this or do you know how easy or hard it'll be for me to work in foreign marina?

Am i mad?

Suzanne xXx

G

Being a marine diesel engineer I thought about going to work for one of the main players sometime ago, really fancied working on some big M.A.N.S in a sunseeker or something similar perhaps some oil rich millionaire who only visits his boat for one week a year, well the nearest I got to it was servicing 2 ford sabres in a knackered old Freeman 33, but what really changed my mind was firstly the heat was unbearable to work hard in, the language barrier, and lack of decent places to buy parts from as you just cannot pop up the road for a spare filter or cutlass bearing etc, apart from all that I wish you well, have a great time building up to it, no doubt you might get the old man to take his boat out there first!.

Paul js.

ArthurWood

Visit site
With a univ ed why would you want to work in a marina? You presumably set out on your univ ed with some objective in mind and to be able to use that univ ed. in your career. What will you have a degree in? Does it fit with marina work? What would you work your way up to in a marina?
What are your long-term objectives, eg marriage, family, kids' ed, travel, wealth building for the future, as opposed to just making money? When and how will you learn Portuguese? I don't mean to pour cold water on your objectives, but you might want to think them through in more detail. No, you are not mad. It's good to see you have objectives.

mtb

Visit site
What about trying to get on one of the many sailing flotillas , they always need crew and the experience would come in handy .
Plus although its not well paid you would have a wail of a time
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v / cheap or swap for tug

BarryD

Visit site
Sounds like a plan of sorts - but jetty washing and line handling is never going to make you rich enough to invite the old man onto YOUR yatch! You mention Uni what sort of degree were you thinking of? Marketing / Communications might be applicable - try and track down John Watson (very senior type or actually most senior type at MDL) off the forum and corner him.

Gap (er... doss) year is a popular escape and with some basic recognised boat handling quals (RYA stuff) should get you into a marina structure - Premier move staff around a lot. If you started work in Chichester I could scare you with my famous lock approaches!

One thing that is worth knowing, is that it doesn't really matter what you do in your late teens early 20's unless you intend to be some really high flying jet setter. Up to about 24/25 very few people are really sure what sort of career they want, indeed some of us er.. a lot older are still totally bewildered and baffled by what we want to do when we grow up - I fear I am running out time to decide.

Also worth noting - if you live abroad anywhere then you really need to get down to the nuts, bolts and roots / culture of the language being a tourist is a lot different from actually having to deal with the local plumbers / garage mechanics.

Mind you - I'd say go for it and enjoy yourself - life is not a rehersal.

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

G

I'd be pleased to have a chat. 023 8045 0209.
John Watson
MDL

Other threads that may be of interest