Fuse board / distribution board

G

Hi all,

I'm planning a total rewire of my H22. I'm looking to rip it all out and start again as it's cream crackered and the previous owner thoughtfully filled half the interior lockers with expanding foam so I'm not sure what goes where.

Anyway, on to the question. Is there any diference between fuse boards and distribution boards? The cheapest distribution board I've found was eighty squid which I thought was quite a lot for a fairly simple piece of kit. Cheapest (6 switch) fuseboard £40.

So is there a difference between the two? Also could anyone recomend a basic (cheapish) 6 switch panel. I don't need lit switches or pretty pictures of navlights, just something that will do the job.

Cheers
Jim

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://neglectednews.blogspot.com/> Neglected News</A>

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
My understanding of the difference between FUSE Board and DISTRIBUTION Board is that the FUSE Board is fitted with FUSES and the DIST. Board is fitted with CIRCUIT BREAKERS.
Yes DB's will cost more to buy but you don't have to replace the CB's every time they trip as you do every time a fuse blows. Also if you do have a fault it is easier to find if isolating sections of a circuit and you only have to reset the CB. (Not the best way to fault find but sometimes you don't have a lot of choice).
Sometimes something as simple as a nav light bulb blowing will take out a fuse or Breaker. It is much easier to get the rest of the lights back on, quickly, if you don't have to fiddle around in the dark looking for the spare fuse (That you didn't replace last time it blew!).
As for only wanting six? I would get a panel with a couple spare for the bits you want to add in the future. Yes you will!
I know cost can be a big factor but the DB may be cheaper in the long term than the FP.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Try making your own custom one. The parts cost very little and with care it's not difficult. RS keep all the components, the plastic covered sheet and the hole punches for the switches and breakers

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
AGREE WITH VIV - MADE AN EXCELLENT DISTRIBUTION BUS BAR SYSTEM OUT OF 2 SCRAP PIECES OF COPPER BAR (ALUMINIUM WILL WORK JUST AS WELL) AND A BIG CIRCUIT BREAKER FROM E C SMITH, ALL HOUSED IN A TUPPERWARE BOX BOLTED INSIDE A CUPBOARD. YOU COULD DO A SWITCH PANEL WITH A SHEET OF COLOURED ACRYLIC, AND SWITCHES FROM MAPLINS, AND A BIT OF CARPENTRY TO HOUSE IT. AND DC WIRING IS PRETTY NODDY SO NO DIFFICULTY THERE

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, DIDNT REALISE IT WAS ON UNTIL TOO LATE (I NEED TO LOOK AT THE KEYBOARD TO TYPE!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Hi,

I did this job on my last boat which was an H22. I used a plastic box from RS with switch holes and indicator LED's drilled out on the face cover and fuse holders inside. As others have said, busbars made out of strip copper from an old phone exchange.
I sited the box under the hatchway step and used a length of multi-core cable to a point just above the chart table. From there individual cables went to cabin lights, mast etc. The cable is the sort of stuff used for trailer electrics.

Best of luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>