Furuno radar

tony_brighton

Visit site
For a while we've been looking at the JRC1500 radar as a low cost/collision avoidance radar for channel crossings on our Bav34. The benefits of this radar being simple to operate, very cheap and lightweight dome. Today I phoned to order one from a well known electronics supplier and was informed these are discontinued to be replaced with MkII versions at a suitable price hike (RRP=£1200) when they get round to being released.

Instead I was recommended a Furuno 1623 which was described as a "the most popular entry level budget radar" and could be mine for £949 inc VAT & 15m cable. Can anyone recommend or comment on the Furuno?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
I have a Furono 1622 (I guess the 1623 is better?) But I am very pleased with mine, It only has a measly Radome but picks everything up and is very easy to use.
I would buy it!

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

Moose

Barry777

Visit site
i was looking for a basic radar set and considered the Furuno 1623 mentioned and the JVC 1500 model, both of which were under £1000. I was recomended the Furuno model as the "best buy" by someone with knowledge of both companies, and had it fitted over last winter.

I had to use it in anger a couple of week ago when crossing the channel in very poor viz, and it was very straightforward to use, and more importantly gave good indication of nearby ships when crossing the shipping lane. Placed at the chart table in my Moody 38 I'm very pleased with the result. I have a new colour chart plotter on the binnacle, and at one time toyed with a combined radar and plotter, but I'm pleased now that I didn't. The radar is a simple, cheap and accurate piece of kit, that doesn't have too many bells and whistles to distract you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Try Yachtbits...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtbits.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm>Yachtbits</A> might still have a few of the Mk1 JRC1500 units at £925 inc VAT and 15m cable. The JRC1500 has a narrower beam than the Furuno, otherwise there probably isn't much to choose between them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
I've got the 1621 since 1997 and am quite happy with it. I wonder what "improvements" the 1622 and 1623 have brought. As a general rule, software "improvements" usually bring in more unnecessary bells and whistles. The only one I'd have liked introduced would be the option of the "guard zone" disregarding echoes that did not go towards the center of the screen (i.e. my boat).

john

<hr width=100% size=1>

DeeGee

Visit site
I, too, have the 1622 - and am totally satisfied with it. Other radars MAY have more b&w, but only once did I wish I had ARPA - when in fog among too many echoes to easily track. I think the 1623 is able to talk to compatible plotter so that the plotter can display radar and chart together (?).

<hr width=100% size=1>Black Sugar - the sweetest of all

pvb

Visit site
Lollipop...

The 1623 can take distance and bearing to waypoint info from a GPS and display a "lollipop" on the radar image showing where the next waypoint is.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I think your location/distance to a service agent could be important. I don't have radar but someone on this site had a bad experience of trying to get a repair done under warranty. The local service agent was over 100 miles away. The service agent is limited to a 2 hour slot for warranty repairs. Once the radar is fitted you can't send your boat to the service agent so they have to come to you. Check out where your nearest agent is before you buy one. If they have to travel they will charge.

<hr width=100% size=1>