Furling headsail winding.

G

Why do a lot of people always leave a little bit of their jib unwound even when there are still turns on the drum? I think I may be missing some hidden advantage.

G

a case of having too much money

The easiest way to ruin a rolled jib is let the wind get inside it so it flogs its itself to pieces, a couple of turns of the sheets round the rolled up sail will won't stop this but it improves the chances of it not starting.

:)-{)>

andrewhopkins

Visit site
Ponces

They're the people who take more interest in looking good than actually sailing. They think it looks cool to have a bit showing with their sheets nice and tight.

Other traits will include:

1. Blue ensign

2. Several anchors on bow roller (unused)

3. Windvane (unused)

4. Davits (used once to lift dinghy (unused))

5. Lots of expensive electronics (unused)

6. Nice berth in marina (used all the time)

Strathglass

Visit site
There arer several reasons why a few turns on the headsail roller will make the boat sail better.
Many yachts were designed without roller reefing. When it has been added the reefing gear raises the tack which shifts the correct sheeting position further aft beyond the jib track position. Reefing the jib slightly may shift the sheeting back to within range of the track.
Rolling the jib slightly may cover luff stretch on a well worn jib.
A smaller jib may set better when running downwind goosewinged in vatiable conditions.
A slightly rolled jib may help ballance the boat better.

G

Re: Ponces

You've forgotten the swing-out barbecue attached to the pushpit rail.

G

Re: Ponces

In the land of Oz, the BBQ is a way of life, even on a 17ft trailer sailer. Don't think my Aussie, yottie cousins would appreciate being called ponces!

charles_reed

Visit site
Ignorance and laziness

Getting the last roll past the sheets takes a lot more effort than just rolling the genoa away to the reinforcement.

However leaving a boat in that state runs the very real risk if having the genoa shred itself apart from the added UV degradation.