funny sense of priorities

Birdseye

Visit site
We have a traditional race on the 27th each year. But not this year for me - two regular crew have to go to work. What's that about for heavens sake. And three of the others have family duties when the 27th is all about escape. What's happening to people's sense of priorities?

I even offer free mince pies! Free!!

Last edited:

savageseadog

Visit site
It's very noticeable that in that last few decades socio-economic pressures have taken their toll on racing fleets and crews. I've also noticed that the most active racing scene, possibly in Europe, is probably in Ireland, certainly relative to population numbers. I put it down to a more male centred society in Ireland than in the UK.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
It's very noticeable that in that last few decades socio-economic pressures have taken their toll on racing fleets and crews. I've also noticed that the most active racing scene, possibly in Europe, is probably in Ireland, certainly relative to population numbers. I put it down to a more male centred society in Ireland than in the UK.

I put it down to a stronger economy in Ireland.

lpdsn

Visit site

Serious racing has exactly the same problems in Ireland. There's a lot of social racing under ECHO that is well run and tries to adapt around other demands to keep the number of participants up.

People have some strange preconceptions of Ireland. Been watching too many Guinness ads. Ireland has changed dramatically in the last couple of decades, albeit it has lost something in the process.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
It's just bad prioritisation.

When I lived in the midlands Boxing Day was 'escape at last' day: the choice between sailing at Nottingham SC or skydiving at Langar. I usually went for Langar as the cold lasted for 'less long' (-34C at 14,000ft).

But winter sailing on a nice clear day is lovely, just make sure you understand how cold it is going upwind before sailing downwind too far. Having had one side of my head almost frozen on a long close haul you sometimes come to think how comfortable a fireplace/sofa/single malt could be.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
When I lived in the midlands Boxing Day was 'escape at last' day: the choice between sailing at Nottingham SC or skydiving at Langar. I usually went for Langar as the cold lasted for 'less long' (-34C at 14,000ft).

I once went gliding on Christmas Day. There were only a couple of us on site[1] at noon, but by 3pm we had reasonable numbers. All men, all looking relieved.

[1] Mendip GC, Halesland Airfield.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
We have a traditional race on the 27th each year. But not this year for me - two regular crew have to go to work. What's that about for heavens sake. And three of the others have family duties when the 27th is all about escape. What's happening to people's sense of priorities?
If your crew need to work you might ask them what percentage of their take home pay is their mortgage, that might be an eyeopener.

They might have young children/elderly parents/only have access to children at agreed times.

They need to prioritise and clearly this year your race, I am not a fan of racing, came second or 14th in their list. Better luck next year in gathering a crew.

Daydream believer

Visit site
For the first 30 years of my sailing 95% of it was spent racing; along with all the crew hassle. For the last 20 years it has been longer distance single handed cruising (no work).
When i am no longer fit enough to do that, in a couple of years time, i will get a crew & go back to racing (laminate sails etc recently purchased ready), but no way will it be on 27 January ---in any year!!!!!
Would like to do some shorter SH races though

That being said I have being doing safety boat duty for the sailing club polar series for the past 15 years & will be supporting our rowing race open in February. B..y cold some years but quite warm so far this year

Last edited: