Full cockpit cover - price/Devon suppliers ?

pragmatist

Visit site
Had our full cockpit cover made by Flexicovers of Poole quite a few years ago and it is beginning to show the signs of time - zips, wear etc. We have been very pleased with the cover but it would appear that Flexicovers no longer do bespoke work - had hoped they could give us a ballpark figure for a replacement but sadly not.

So - has anyone recent experience of the cost of replacing a sprayhood and full cockpit enclosure (our boat is 41ft but a narrow stern) - all the stainless is in place and fine so just the canvas/window bit ?

Secondly, does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers in Devon ?

Thirdly, anyone either effected their own repairs or persuaded a firm to do so successfully/reasonably ? I am particularly concerned about putting in new zips.

TIA
Penny

simonmossuk

Visit site
Not quite Devon, but in Lymington there is an excellent company called Solent Covers that do bespoke work, run by a lady called Lisa, she seems to do all sorts of covers and quality is excellent whilst being cheaper than local competitors!

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Tranona

Visit site
Search around and you will find many firms that will do this kind of work. Most sailmakers do it. Yellow Pages for your area is a good start. You might find with an existing cover that somebody will do it using that as a pattern which might not limit you to local firms.

Thoshi

Visit site
Try Westway Sails tel: 01752 892560 and ask for Derek.

They did a new sprayhood for me a few years ago and I found them very helpful.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Another vote for SlikCut... new owners recently.... did a renewal on my UV strip.. nice job not too expensive.... repairs to goosneck cover.. repairs to sailbag... and dodgers a couple of years ago.

Also did some repairs to my chute..... never disatisfied.

pragmatist

Visit site
Try Westway Sails tel: 01752 892560 and ask for Derek.

They did a new sprayhood for me a few years ago and I found them very helpful.

Thanks to you all for answers so far. Wonder if you went to Westaway in the days of Simon Unwin ? They were very good then. However, we had a stackpack made by them after he had sold up and were not at all satisfied with the result or the service.

However gather he is now Dart Sails and Canvas so is coming to quote. However I would like more than one quote so v pleased to hear all suggestions and will try Topsham.

tjc

Visit site
another vote for SlikCut - new owners are very helpful and put a picture of me on their website collect some stuff they did fior me

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Expect something between £1k - 1.5k. If the canvas is OK & it's just zips & windows, why not get a repair quote? More likely to be around £500 or so at a guess.

There is a sailmaker on the forum & they may well respond shortly. Search the threads & you may well find them & can ask for a quote.

tugboat

Visit site
There is an outfit at Dartside (Galmpton) which I think might be handy to you. I can't remember their name offhand but if you ring the yard office (01803 845445) they will tell you. I have no experience of them myself, but they might show you work they have done on local boats so you can see before you buy.

jparham

Visit site
The guy at Dartside, Galmpton is The Coverworks. Rob's the man. 01803 844003
Does very reasonable repair costs if you deliver!
Been going there for 3 years now and I'm a satisfied customer.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Another vote for Sarah at Ocean Canvas in Plymouth. We have had several items made by her and she has been excellent. Reasonable priced and really well made. Last year she serviced our spray hood and our stack-pack (which she made five years ago) and her work was as good as ever.

robertj

Visit site
Must say the Bimini/cockpit cover is one of the best additions to my boat. This week at Fowey my wife and myself have been enjoying the view in not so nice conditions when the two that I am rafter alongside are down below hibernating.
The guy who did mine used to work for Penrose in Falmouth but has gone on his own.
I had a stackpack/dodgers/srayhood/bimini and cockpit enclosure.
I can't give u what I paid as he is a friend, and no doubt would reflect the retail price but I know he is about 60% of penrose.
Your welcome to have a look at my covers etc as it's best to see the quality first hand.
I'm in Fowey at the moment but back in Falmouth early next week.