Fueltank remedy (Diesel)

jfkal

Visit site
Thanks to all the guys who sent me advise on that matter. The solution I used might be valuable for others.
Problem: Built in tank, no drain, no access hatch. Water and bacteria sludge inside.
Solution: Get access to the top of the tank. Drill a hole (11mm). Use a rigid copper tube to get down to the lowest point in the tank. Attach a hand or electrical self priming pump. Pump out water, sludge and remaining diesel. Fill in 1 liter of diesel, pump out whilst moving the copper tube sideways to sweep the bottom. Repeat process until diesel comes out clean. Tapper the hole with a 12mm taper. Screw in SS screw with washer and rubber gasket. Change filters, fill tank.
Enjoy sailing.

G

Like it!
Perhaps as a final flourish you might add a diesel treatment to remove the bugs still living in those corners of your tank that were not accessible to your syphon.

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
I've painful experience of cleaning a diesel tank. Its very difficult even if you have a hatch. At one point I had bits in the tank big enough to block an 8mm.ID fuel line.
I feel you must make a hatch.
When I did clean it out there was an amazing amount of muck inside. Some of it was ahardened paste (possibly dried u bugs) Part of it was fibrous and part was literally hair! I dont know how it got in but it did. I use a filter funnel when filling from cans but not when filling directly from a pump. One sensible suggestion was that it got in through the breather pipe. At least fit a gauze over the breather, fit a large bore fuel tap and a good filer equipped water separation unit.
You then have to make sure you can seal the hatch and thats another problem.