Fuel tank again.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
While relocating the main fuel filter and adding a second unit, I saw that the filter which I removed was full of crap.
What I would like to do would to be remove tank and renew or wash out, but the tank is so big that there is no way it is going to come out without removing part of the rear deck which I dont want to do.
I s there any form of vacuam system that could be connected to the tank which would collapse it, ie, crumple it to make it smaller so as to remove it.
I take it that it would be unsafe to cut it in situe, it is s/s.
I would prefer a lighter smaller plastic tank, as the engine is only a 12hp and not very thirsty.
What should I do? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

slimted

Visit site
You may find an inspection panel, usually on the top of the tank. On my own boat this enabled me to clean the 'crap' as you say by hand. It was dirty and messy but could be done without removing tank from the boat!

minquiers

Visit site
would it be better, if you have the space to put another small tank somewhere else, and disregard this tank altogether, it is easier to re-route some pipework, than try to remove the tank, and maybe at a later date remove the old tank, just a thought

macnorton

Visit site
I use a vacume tank (engine oil extractor) to check for water/crud in the tank after filling.
Or you could use an electric pump and clear sedimenter (filter without element) and hoover the bottom Before you condem the tank.

ms1

Visit site
you need to think about baffles. If your tank has them then, muck can get trapped behind them. If you cut a hole for your sender unit you can hoover around your tank with a suction pump and hose connected to a hard plastic tube (a-la Homebase) ... but getting behind baffles can really only be achieved by cutting a hole in each 'compartment' .. I guess its a question of how far you want to go ?

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Re: Fuel tank again.Vacuum Pump

I can loan you a vacuum pump which should collapse the tank but a word of caution. there is no way to predict how it will collapse but you will get some idea as it starts to buckle. You will also have to make it vacuum tight by sealsing off all the vents. I live in Newton Mearns so send me a PM if you wish to try it out.

JC