Fuel storage in a Liveaboard

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
Good morning!

I was reading that diesel tanks should be kept full or nearly full to avoid condensation. But also that the fuel should be "cycled" (i.e. used) within a couple months.

With a large fuel storage - say 2000 litres in a 50' liveable - but which may not be moved for several months in the winter, how would this be managed please?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I imagine that almost everyone on this forum has a tank mostly full of fuel for the entire winter. I think that the idea of keeping it brim full to prevent condensation has been debunked. I still did that this year but only because I had moved from Corsica (1.30 Euro/litre) to Sardinia (>1.50 Euro/litre).

I imagine that the main risk is growth of diesel bug rather than a drop in cetane rating. I always add a dose of Marine16 at the last fill up. The engine is usually run for a few hours before arriving at the yard. I also syphon out some fuel from the lowest point several days after lifting out. I repeat this for the first fill next season. I've only ever seen a teaspoon of black gunk so this does seem to work reasonably well and I don't normally dose with Marine16 during summer.

I guess that 2,000 litres might present some problems if you don't move much in summer as it could be in the tank for years. I believe that the people who sell Marine16 also supply something to stabilise fuel during storage. Might be worth looking into that but certainly worth checking for existing contamination.

GrahamM376

Visit site
also that the fuel should be "cycled" (i.e. used) within a couple months.

Whoever told you that is talking rubbish. My diesel car stands for up to 8 months unused and never has a problem and the boat has some fuel up to 18 months old in the tank. It started and ran fine last week off the mooring and the Eberspacher is ticking away nicely at the moment.

Orange

www.accountkiller.com
I read it from the Internet, Graham. So it must be true? ;)

However what about the diesel bug thing? Would there not be more risk of issues the longer it's left hanging about?