Fuel problem with Toahtu 9.8

peterbringloe

Visit site
I wonder if anyone can help me with this? I stupidly allowed the fuel tank to run dry. When I put new fuel in the motor wouldn't start. Fuel line bulb is rock hard. There is a little fuel filter in the fuel line just before the fuel pump. Disconnected hoses from both sides and squeezed the bulb - plenty of fuel getting through. Don't know what to do next. Changed spark plugs for new but no matter how much I pull the plugs remain dry.

Any help gratefully received or should I just give in and take it to a shop?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Could be a bit of crud got through and blocking the main jet. Or maybe some water from your tank.
Is there a drain screw on the bottom of the float chamber? If so, remove it and pump some fuel through. Replace bung and try again.

Just possible the needle valve has stuck in the float chamber. If you know where to hit a tap can dislodge it. If you don't know, you need to remove the float chamber bowl, float and needle valve.

An agricultural method is to tip a bit of fuel into the carb mouth and start it. Suprising how often that does the trick.

peterbringloe

Visit site
Re: Fuel problem with Tohatsu 9.8

Thanks very much - I'll have a go tomorrow. Not sure where the float chamber is. There are two long bolts that hold the carb (and plastic air intake) to the engine. I can remove these and carb hangs off and I can see the choke flap.

I like the sound of your last suggestion though.

Lakesailor

Visit site

Turn the carb upside down and the bowl is at the bottom. There will be 2 or 3 cross head screws holding the flange to the carb body. Undo those and carefully pull away the bowl. Do not do this above the water whilst on the boat! Get the engine at least into the cockpit and bung up the cockpit drain. Little screws and pins can go anywhere.

Honestly the "tip a bit of fuel in" (just a desert spoonfull) often works. If not, nothing lost.

Topcat47

Visit site

If the bulb is "hard" it sounds like a blocked fuel line to me, or a blockage where the fuel line enters the engine if the bulb pumps fuel when the line is disengaged. My experience wirth needle valves is that the tend to "fail open".

pete

Visit site
Its probably dirt in the dregs of the tank blocking the needle jet in the float chamber.

Disconnect the fuel pipe as it enters the carb and try pumping the fuel to discount blockage in the fuel line.
normally easy to clean but note how the jet is connected between the float and the valve on disassembly and don`t bend the float arm.
pete