Fuel problem solution? Is this right?

Whitelighter

Visit site
Got an email from the Greek engineer looking after Whitelighter today. He is reccommending cleaning the tank, which I agree with, flushing the fuel system, which I agree with but he also wants to send both fuel pumps and all 12 injectors to Volvo in Athens for 'checking' - the cost for the whole lot - 3k!

I just feel that as port engine suffered no problems and the starboard engine started again and ran fine this is a bit ott. Surely better to clean tank/lines and change filters then dose with Soltron and some injector cleaner?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I had all that crap from a firm in Austria. Pump serviced ect. Held me up in a hotel and cost a fortune.

Problem, frozen air filter, that they did not find.

Change yer filters and put some Soltron in.

oldharry

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but he also wants to send both fuel pumps and all 12 injectors to Volvo in Athens for 'checking' - the cost for the whole lot - 3k!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he does - he doesn't want you coming back complaining that the engines are still not running properly - and he is being paid to be thorough!

If one engine was OK anyway - "if it aint broke - dont fix it" comes to mind.

If you want total peace of mind next time you go out, pay 3k. Otherwise get everything else sorted, then see whether the injection gear actually needs attention.

Unless he has a good reason to think the pumps and injectors may be damaged.

totopalm

Visit site
Start by cleaning the tank,preferably using the method
i suggested in your SLUDGE post 18/4
Then sea trial it again, if then it still plays up, let the
engineer check pumps and injectors or whatever.
Save money now, spend it later if you have to

pjs100

Visit site
but he also wants to send both fuel pumps and all 12 injectors to Volvo in Athens for 'checking' - the cost
for the whole lot - 3k!

Would you like to come and see my little puppies?

Is Jez Banks rhyming slang?

JJTOP

andy_wilson

Visit site
I'm struggling to think of what cold possibly have got through the filters that would warrant stripping and checking the pump and injectors. Without wading through earlier accounts, did the water separators fill with aqueous material or did the filter block first?

A sensible option would be to empty and scrub the diesel from the tank, check and clean the tank if required, drain the system and bleed through to the injectors with clean diesel.

If there remains any suggestion that the pump or injectors are suspect I would suggest that whoever services the pumps and injectors on the local fishing fleet would be a better bet. It certainly doesn't need Volvo to be involved.

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Dont think you will need to check the pumps and injector tips just cos of mucky fuel, sounds like the filters did their job anyway.

We had our injectors retipped on one engine following the break up of the insides of the injector pump on same engine, but this was just in case the crap from the pump inerds had damaged the tips. In this case we are glad we did. Would'nt bother just for crap in fuel

RogerRat

Visit site
Have to agree with the consensus.

The starboard engine ran too well on the return trip to suspect injectors. Clean the tank and lines, replace filters and then ask him to test run her.

He seemed pretty honest but then of course he may just be being cautious as you were suggesting that he then delivers the boat up north.