Fuel Governing

G

The Volvo MD1B engine in my Westerly Tiger will start first time (with the cold start button deployed) and, out of gear, run up to its max 2,800rpm like a good 'un, despite its years. However, in gear, opening the throttle takes the engine up to 1500rpm at half throttle - but then no more. Further throttle gives no more revs. With certain tides, this can be very inconvenient!

The compression, injector, prop, gearbox, and fuel lift pump are OK (long story!) and I'm now honing in on the governor/injector pump linkage, as depressing the cold start button gives the missing revs - albeit with a very mucky exhaust.

Any ideas, comments or tips before I start throwing yet more money at the problem?

John Maries
Sutton Coldfield

G

Been there had that one

Have you altered the stop cable lately, When I moved the cable on my MD11 in a Chieftan I had this problem. The govenor was fine and of load it worked OK but instead of 2400 rpm I could only get 2200 rpm. I tracked this down to the stop cable operation on the throttle cable by pulling it back past the idle position against a spring, this had been hard so I had altered the stop cable, this in turn stoped the throttle link going full over.

Hope this helps

G

just another idea. Is your prop fouled or, and the hull. You would not beleive the drag that causes. I've had it myself and I was down to half revs!