Fuel filter drain plug failed BSS inspection

NormanS

Visit site
OK to both RAH and Plum, I stand corrected and reassured. Quite how the illustrated metal shield would actually help in a fire remains questionable, and it would seem to make it more difficult to see the vital bit at the bottom of the bowl.
Such is progress.🙁

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
OK to both RAH and Plum, I stand corrected and reassured. Quite how the illustrated metal shield would actually help in a fire remains questionable, and it would seem to make it more difficult to see the vital bit at the bottom of the bowl.
Such is progress.🙁
True knowlege is the product of direct experience.

Absolutely no trouble viewing our BSS compliant Racor. You look from above and to the side, shine a torch on it if required.

As a fairly switched on adult, I can see how the flame from a fire would be guided away from the plastic bowl by the far larger and shaped shield.

As a Canal Narrowboat owner in a previous life I am well aware of how stringent the BSS can be. I am happy with the suitability of our Racor as a lower fire risk than a standard one.

Supertramp

Visit site
Such is progress.🙁
Is it a heat shield or is it a catch dish for any dribbles when changing filters?

An automatic fire extinguisher in the engine area would probably be more effective overall.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Is it a heat shield or is it a catch dish for any dribbles when changing filters?

An automatic fire extinguisher in the engine area would probably be more effective overall.
It is a heat shield. The BSS guy fitted it to our boat to make it compliant when the first owner moved it to Canal and River Trust waters..

Plum

Visit site

it is a heat shield fitted so the filter complies with the ISO standard for fire resistance. It is not for catching drips

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
The advantage of the clear plastic bowl is that any contamination in the fuel, settled in the base of the filter, can be easily seen, and action taken. A metal shield over the plastic makes a nonsense of this.
This demonstrates a major difference between the safety priorities of sea going, versus canal and river craft. An engine stopping at sea as a result of fuel problems is potentially serious. The same thing happening in inland waterways is merely an inconvenience. The danger is that insurance companies et al may insist on compliance with regulations which are inappropriate.
Metal shields don't make a nonsense of this. The fuel is perfectly visible.

My last primary filter had one - ironically the metal tap leaked and it was cheaper to purchase a new Chinese Racor copy than replace the tap!