Fuel Duty?

G

Hi - I have a question about fuel duty? As the owner of a petrol boat and in the process of planning a move to France I was wondering about mooring the boat at Cherbourg and 'popping' to Guernsey [one of the cheapest petrol prices in the civilised world] to refuel ... can anyone tell me the position when returning to Cherbourg [EU basically]? Am I only liable to pay VAT or do they hit me for fuel duty as well or is this acceptable practice?

byron

RIP
Visit site
If you have fuelled up in Jersey into the boat's regular tank(s) then there is no problem. Under French rules you cannot however carry more than (I think) 5 gallons in Jerry Cans.

©2001

G

If it is relevant - according to "Halfords" web site (unless I have misread the information) the EU maximum for a single portable plastic container is:

o - 5 litres for petrol.

o - 10 litres for diesel.

As I regularly hump 25 litres of diesel around in plastic containers I found this information quite disturbing!!

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

But to clarify, you are are fine with the stuff in the asxual fuel tank(s) being red.

G

Thanks for your replies - it is petrol I need to know about although if they are happy with red diesel [as a duty free] then maybe the rules are the same?

Re containers - quite correct about the EU max and I have red plastic jerrycans bought from a chandlery which hold 25 litres! But, a metal one is OK for 25 litres - those old, ex-army landrover cans are good if you can get one?

G

Re:petrol Duty?

Why didn't you say? As far as I know there is no such thing as duty not paid petrol so all petrol is whitish. So thery won't be able to tell if eet eez french or proper British petrol, althoughthe British stuff is of course bound to be much better.

jfm

Visit site
Re: legal position?

as you are entering France from outside the EU they could charge duty and VAT, even if you are importing it for personal use, but in practice I would guess they will not bother. Don't antagonise them by siphoning it into your car though

JFM