Frustrated at trying to book a berth for Chatham,

Concerto

Visit site
It sounds like their new system started this year is intended to make booking easier, but lost the personal touch we all love. However if you cannot be bothered to use the online booking, do not panic as at the last count they had about 70 vacant berths. Currently I am at the other end of the country, as are a number of other sailors, so they probably have about 80+ free berths, so just turn up.

For the first time in the last 8 years, they were full over the August Bank Holiday last year and turned a few boats away.

oldgit

Visit site
Gilingham or MDL ?.
Gillingham did not have any space a week or two ago but a skipper looking for a long term berth was offered a choice of three immediately. In MDL.

johnalison

Visit site
I can see that online booking is a useful service to some, or even many, sailors. Although I have a tablet on board, I don't always have wifi connection and haven't arranged to have data available on my phone, so phoning would be my only way of booking, other than calling up on Ch 80. It certainly seems a retrograde step not to accept phones. Last weekend I called Woolverstone and had no trouble booking through a charming young lady.

jant

Visit site
It sounds like their new system started this year is intended to make booking easier, but lost the personal touch we all love. However if you cannot be bothered to use the online booking, do not panic as at the last count they had about 70 vacant berths. Currently I am at the other end of the country, as are a number of other sailors, so they probably have about 80+ free berths, so just turn up.

For the first time in the last 8 years, they were full over the August Bank Holiday last year and turned a few boats away.
Thanks for the heads up concerto, called on vhf and the locking chap couldn't have been more helpful, in fact the exact opposite from the telephone conversation I had with the person on duty last night... enjoy your cruising wherever you may be.....

Concerto

Visit site
Thanks for the heads up concerto, called on vhf and the locking chap couldn't have been more helpful, in fact the exact opposite from the telephone conversation I had with the person on duty last night... enjoy your cruising wherever you may be.....
Not sure who would have been on overnight last night but there have been quite a few staff changes recently and you may have spoken to someone who did not fully understand how to use the computer to book you in. Generally the staff are very helpful.

Currently in the Orkneys at Stromness in Scapa Flow, having finished Shetland and then heading for the Western Isles. In the YM Scuttlebutt you can read my reports "Round Britain day.....". In my signature is the first YouTube video covering Chatham to the Humber, the next will be the Humber to Eyemouth when I finish editting.

jant

Visit site
Not sure who would have been on overnight last night but there have been quite a few staff changes recently and you may have spoken to someone who did not fully understand how to use the computer to book you in. Generally the staff are very helpful.

Currently in the Orkneys at Stromness in Scapa Flow, having finished Shetland and then heading for the Western Isles. In the YM Scuttlebutt you can read my reports "Round Britain day.....". In my signature is the first YouTube video covering Chatham to the Humber, the next will be the Humber to Eyemouth when I finish editting.
Great I'll look and view!
Fair tides
John