frozen seacocks

romany123

Visit site
I bet it has been asked before but I cant see it in my searches. I for the first time ever (I check and grease them every year)
I Have a frozen bronze seacock that I can not shift, I have tried tapping with a hammer used penetrating oil, and a few kind (and not so kind) words.......it is still stuck....HELP

Dave

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Dave

Sorry to hear about your jammed cock, hitting it with a hammer ouch!

Penetrating oil would have been my favoured cure, may take a couple of days to soak in. Have you tried wrapping the valve in a cloth and pouring boiling water on the rag to thermal shock the valve this may free it. If all else fails I would remove the valve and fit a new one as hitting with a hammer may affect the hull.
I have assumed we are talking about a ball valve and not a gate valve.

Good luck
Trevor

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
If it's a Blakes, release the two bolts holding the collar, then go outside the boat, stick something suitable up the hole (aparently the 'something' is officially called a drift, but I don't know why). And whack it upwards with a hammer. Tom Cunliffe says it works, tho' I've yet to try.

romany123

Visit site
Thanks guys
Will try all your suggestions tomorrow. I only tapped the valve to try to shock it out......mind you after skinning my fingers and brusing my arm (why are all things that need a lot of attention in such bloody awkward places) I felt like whacking it :)

Dave

Shanty

Visit site
Use a length of hardwood as a drift - if you use a metal bar too enthusiastically, you can punch the end off the seacock plug.

If the drift from outside the hull doesn't work, strip the seacock out of the boat, and try some gentle heat with a blowlamp - the aim is to heat the body of the seacock evenly, without too much heat passing through to the plug. Get it right, and the plug should drop out.

If the boat is laid up ashore, its a good idea to strip the plugs out of the seacocks in the autumn, and clean them with paraffin. Leave them out through the winter to give a little more ventilation. Re-grease and refit in the spring - preferably before crane-in.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
That might of course work but I tried it as a last resort and the drift went right trough.The metal around the socket is quite thin and not really strong enough to take a direct blow.In my case the seacock was very corroded wich probably didn't help.

romany123

Visit site
Re: Thanks

Good mornig and thanks .....I'm of to try all your responces, The sun is just about out....fingers crossed

Dave

G

Do you know if its tapered or has a round ball? The tapered one you can plug on the outside and remove the innards and repair and replace. The round ball, I'm not sure about what to do,so no advice from me.

My way;keep growing!