From disspointing to infuriating and beyond

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I do consultancy work (about 4 a year) for Italian used or new boats with foreign and sometimes also with Italian clients.

It costs a bit, but I help the client understand the various Italian makes (a lot) and also will be stake holder of deposit in a purchase.
The cost is 2% of boat purchase price (if client finds the boat), and in case of travelling I charge a fee a day plus traveling expenses and hotels.
In most cases the 2% comes discounted as in most cases I manage to slash the commission from the buyers side.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
I do consultancy work (about 4 a year) for Italian used or new boats with foreign and sometimes also with Italian clients.

It costs a bit, but I help the client understand the various Italian makes (a lot) and also will be stake holder of deposit in a purchase.
The cost is 2% of boat purchase price (if client finds the boat), and in case of travelling I charge a fee a day plus traveling expenses and hotels.
In most cases the 2% comes discounted as in most cases I manage to slash the commission from the buyers side.

Now that sounds a bit better, might look you up myself if I ever get the time to upgrade.

Whitelighter

Visit site
A little update:

Broker today has said he has commissioned his own oil samples to be checked. Im fine with this as I know our samples came from the boat and they were present when they were taken.

I wont be present when they take theirs.

So what happens if theirs are clean? I don't trust them and they clearly don't trust me so I guess it will be back to square 1

John100156

Visit site
Insist on having someone meet them on the boat to gather some of the oil that they take from each engine/box for sending to you for test/analyse? Not that you need to do the test again unless you get conflicting results, not sure how long you can hold the oil sample prior to testing but it might deter fiddling.

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
I can't see that he gains anything by falsifying the samples, as he must know by now that you wouldn't trust his results if they come up clean, and he stands to be discredited if an independent test is done later. As you say, it seems he doesn't trust you and wants to get his own results, or could he be doing it to convince the seller that there is a genuine problem, if the seller refuses to accept your results?

Croftie

Visit site
I can't see that he gains anything by falsifying the samples, as he must know by now that you wouldn't trust his results if they come up clean, and he stands to be discredited if an independent test is done later. As you say, it seems he doesn't trust you and wants to get his own results, or could he be doing it to convince the seller that there is a genuine problem, if the seller refuses to accept your results?

My guess is the oil has been changed already.
Perhaps a lesson to be learnt here, Always take 3 samples, one for you, one for the vendor and a control in case of dispute. All in sealed labelled, signed jars.

Whitelighter

Visit site
My guess is the oil has been changed already.
Perhaps a lesson to be learnt here, Always take 3 samples, one for you, one for the vendor and a control in case of dispute. All in sealed labelled, signed jars.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
That shouldn't be necessary really but there you go. Although do you triple you costs when taking samples?

Whitelighter

Visit site

That is certainly a reasonable view. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with, but it won't change my position.

Croftie

Visit site
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
That shouldn't be necessary really but there you go. Although do you triple you costs when taking samples?

Nope only one cost all being well, that's your sample. If the vendor disputes its up to him to pay for his sample to be tested. Big difference between the test results and you still have a third sample of the original oil that can go to a third testing lab.

ari

Visit site
Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but what happened in the end? Did the second set of oil samples get taken? What did they show? Did the boat get bought, or the deposit returned?

Whitelighter

Visit site
Sorry for not update.

So I decided to reject the boat after the survey results (both hull and mechanical)
lots of people tell me that under the contract I should get my deposit back but the broker refuses.
There are still a couple of avenues open to me which I am investigating but it is unlikely I will get anything back.
To my knowledge the broker did not take any oil samples. He has stated our oil samples are not valid becuase my engineer is not from a dealer or a manufacturer and the samples were not analysed by a caterpillar service agent.

Whitelighter

Visit site
I wouldn't have thought the content of the web link at the bottom of your posts is likely to help.

its all factual. It has no material affect on the contract. The broker has stated he refuses to correspond with me and if I want to I should take him to court in rome and let them decide who is right.

The website will go live on its own domain at somepoint - with any luck it may prevent other buyers loosing money or worse, buying a lemon