Fridges and sizes

captaindan

www.discountfascia.com
Hi gents and ladies.

Ok it’s time for me to get a new fridge for my boat . I removed it the other day so I could see the exact dimensions. Which are 480mm in depth. 550mm in height and 490mm in width. The boat is a sun seeker San Remo not that it matters but I am having trouble finding something that will fit back straight in.. also does anyone know what the differences are betweeen marine and re fridges other than the price.. thanking your input and ideas in advance

Danny

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi gents and ladies.

Ok it’s time for me to get a new fridge for my boat . I removed it the other day so I could see the exact dimensions. Which are 480mm in depth. 550mm in height and 490mm in width. The boat is a sun seeker San Remo not that it matters but I am having trouble finding something that will fit back straight in.. also does anyone know what the differences are betweeen marine and re fridges other than the price.. thanking your input and ideas in advance

Danny
This is the for sale forum, you'd likely get more replies on the PBO forum.

Neeves

Visit site
Often boat fridges have separate compressors though the last Dometic, 80/85l, we bought a couple of years ago had a recess at the back and bottom of the fridge within which was housed the compressor. The Dometic was exactly the same size as the fridge it replaced and fitted in exactly the same space - though must have been smaller in capacity - but the new fridge was better than the one around 20 years old.

Jonathan

An own brand 65l caravan/RV fridge here with tiny ice box/tray, with 'internal' compressor would be 520mm deep, 530mm high and 450mm wide - quite small. Fridges seem to come in standard sizes and the next size up is 85l (I've never noticed anyone offering, say, a 75l fridge). Here compressor enabled ice boxes are common place, which can be dual zone, say, 40% freezer/60% fridge, come in a myriad of sizes - but are top opening. Its a cultural thing but these cool boxes come measured in the number of stubbies they hold. :)

I'd shop around.

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
One reason to have a satellite compressor is that the the fridge 'box' can have a cutaway base allowing the box to better conform to a hull shape. The compressor can be equally installed in another part of the hull form, maybe (also) better use of space. Conversely caravans are boringly 'square' and the need to better use space is not quite the same.

The RV and caravan market is bigger than the leisure yacht market - and the changes might impose higher costs.

If your application does not need a cutaway base to your fridge - go to a caravan shop. Now whether a caravan/RV fridge is more or less efficient - don't know

But before we installed our new fridge in Josepheline we took the time and effort to ensure we were ducting the warm air from the compressor and the sides of the fridge (insulation) using A/C ducting and computer fans wired into the compressor thermostat 'switch'.

Jonathan

captaindan

www.discountfascia.com
One reason to have a satellite compressor is that the the fridge 'box' can have a cutaway base allowing the box to better conform to a hull shape. The compressor can be equally installed in another part of the hull form, maybe (also) better use of space. Conversely caravans are boringly 'square' and the need to better use space is not quite the same.

The RV and caravan market is bigger than the leisure yacht market - and the changes might impose higher costs.

If your application does not need a cutaway base to your fridge - go to a caravan shop. Now whether a caravan/RV fridge is more or less efficient - don't know

But before we installed our new fridge in Josepheline we took the time and effort to ensure we were ducting the warm air from the compressor and the sides of the fridge (insulation) using A/C ducting and computer fans wired into the compressor thermostat 'switch'.

Jonathan
Thanks for this , The saying nothing is ever straightforward comes to mind , you think your just gonna pull that one out and get another to slot right in. I just don't have the patience to shop on the internet as old fashioned service seems to gone right out the window as they pass you off with AI automation. I think I'm gonna let the wife tackle this one .

captaindan

www.discountfascia.com
I was wondering if i could buy a door and a new compressor for it as it seems a odd size when ive been looking. I cant be the only one with a pre war sunseeker that has had this problem. When i bought the boat i never visualised that i would still own it all these years later, and was under the impression that i was going to have something much bigger and newer by now . but i think im just gonna opt with the fridge for now.. Little steps

Neeves

Visit site
I'm not sure about buying a new door...

Modern fridges are significantly more efficient than old fridges. I think they use better insulation. Buying a new compressor from Danfos or Engel (I think that's the name) designed to act as a satellite unit is (or was) easy.

Jonathan