Fridge stopped working. Any ideas?

kcrane

Visit site
Our top opening fridge had a new more insulated lid fitted recently, and now it is playing up. I can't think what fitting a lid could have done and it may not be that at all, maybe co-incidence.

When first fitted it was possible to almost freeze the contents. Now I can see that is drawing power (about 5-6 amps) and I think I can hear a pump, but the panel only gets cold at one end (and the narrow pipe into it at that end definately gets cold), the rest of the plate gets cooler, but not cold.

The thermostat clicks on, but the rest of the travel on the knob makes no difference to how cold it gets.

Having read previous posts on fridges I'm thinking it most likely needs re-gassing, but it may be the thermostat. Any clues for me from the symptoms?

We go off on our cruise at the end of the week, so if anyone knows a good fridge man around Portsmouth/Gosport I'd be grateful for a name.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
The thermostat, in effect, is just a clever switch, so you can short the wires to it, the pump should stay on and the plate should get as cold as it can.
If the plate isn't uniformly cold, then it is a gas problem.
If the compressor stops, look to that.
If everything works ok, it's the thermostat.

kcrane

Visit site
I spoke to an engineer recommended by Penguin.

From my description he thought a gas problem (I hope pampas isn't right /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif).

I was on boat a the weekend, so if I'd known I could have tried LadyInBed's list.

I'll report back if the engineer gets there before we go.