Fridge cooling pump replacement

MikeBz

Visit site
I recently discovered that the cooling pump on our seawater cooled Isotherm 5000 fridge is leaking, and has been for some time. I uninstalled it, removed the lid, and supplemented the oddly shaped double o-ring with a very light smear of sealant. Refitted it to the boat and ran it - it pumped water for a few seconds and then no more (pump was still running). So remove it again - and this time trying to pull the pipe off the barbed outlet spigot the spigot snapped off flush - so I think it’s time for a new pump.

I’ve had no luck identifying the pump, and can’t make out the only lettering on it:

IMG_2024-09-19-172157.jpeg

IMG_2024-09-19-172134.jpeg

It’s at least 30 years old, I suspect long obsolete but if anyone can identify it it might help.

This looks like a suitable replacement:

SELF PRIMING PUMP FOR FRIGOMATIC FRIDGES AND FREEZERS (24V pump must be run at 12V ) - Penguin Refrigeration

… except that the barbed inlet/outlet are 1/2” OD, and the inlet/outlet on the old pump (along with the metal pipes on the compressor unit itself) are 4mm OD. Nobody seems to make a 1/2” (or even 13mm) to 4mm reducer. Could be bodged with sequential reducers perhaps but a bit horrible.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
My custom water cooled fridge uses a Par Max1 pump running on 6 volts via an Isotherm voltage reducer. 1/2 inch inlet and outlet. The pumps last about 10 years with a lot of use but eventually the plastic parts of the swash plate mechanism wear out.

Stuart Campbell

Visit site
I’ve replaced the pump on my fridge recently when the last one failed just before a trip, I used a water pump off of an Eberspacher wet diesel heater I had kicking around, my pump is located below the waterline so it did not need a self priming pump.