Freshwater bay IOW

Pete7

Visit site
It’s a fishermans mooring buoy. There are several, but none where they’ll interfere with you or your anchor.
One of them is the infamous one where 14 million quids worth of coke was stashed, in full view of watching police.
Ha brilliant and good, stops some teenager stuffing it up their nose.

Sun has just come out in Portland and the wind dropping. Planning lunch and perhaps a swim in Warbarrow Bay whilst waiting for this evenings tide.

Don't want to go into the Solent just yet as everywhere will be rammed, perhaps Sunday evening.

Pete

Tranona

Visit site
Eastern end of Warbarrow will be good today. Suspect you will need all the help you can get from the tide (and possibly engine) with the light NE forecast for later today.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The fishermans bouy might be too far in, depends what you draw, and what time you arrive too. Though sounds to me like you’ll be late ish, given the conditions. We’ll be out by the Needles around 3, just for a short sail.

Pete7

Visit site
Eastern end of Warbarrow will be good today. Suspect you will need all the help you can get from the tide (and possibly engine) with the light NE forecast for later today.
Yes arrived an hour ago, tucked right into the Eastern end of the bay. Chart says 2-3m, its actually 6m some 40m off the beach. Were not the only ones 3 other yachts doing the same, though one a Challenger Youth Trg Vessel was anchored out in the middle and rolling quite a bit. Couple of yachts in Lulworth Cove but the beach was packed with day trippers and a big procession down the path at Durdle Door. Had a transit lined up, family with a green umbrella and a tree behind. They just took it down and left :rolleyes:

We checked the range time table and there is no firing for a while in June.

Wind has been gusts and then nothing all morning. so needed to motor sail from time to time. Likely be doing the same across Poole Bay later, just to keep the average speed up.

We draw 1.2m btw.

Attachments

• WB1.jpg
    WB1.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 23
  • WB2.jpg
    WB2.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Envious. This is me anchored the other end of the bay a couple of years ago Have a good trip across the bay.

Attachments

• IMG_20140101_020227.jpg
    IMG_20140101_020227.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 24

Pete7

Visit site
Horrible slop crossing Poole bay at the moment. We had SE at St Albans Head and the race was running.

Sadly, having seen the FW webcam, we are going to Keyhaven up to the quay for the night and a chance to get the dog ashore too.

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Certainly tomorrow night :) However, it was tight getting in at half tide up to the quay. Cleaned the bottom of the bilge keels nicely though.
I felt a little shudder pass through the boat as we came up to our berth today. But as there’s some fairly sticky mud down there, it will definitely not have cleaned the centreboard.

Tranona

Visit site
Certainly tomorrow night :) However, it was tight getting in at half tide up to the quay. Cleaned the bottom of the bilge keels nicely though.
Brings back happy memories I used to take my Eventide up to the quay (1m draft) at high tides springs for lunch. Never brave enough to do it with My Bavaria even though it was only 1.5m Hope to do it again with my Golden Hind maybe even later this season when boat is fully operational.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Well, for Chiara slaves peace of mind , and for other people's entertainment.... a story of modern yachting.... we turned round cos we couldn't get signal😁! Left the Solent thru Hurst and anchored Alum Bay, got a visit from a pair of dolphins. Then round the Needles where it was lumpy. But it carried on being lumpy with a SE organised swell. The doubts crept in. But I couldn't get online to see the webcam and no mobile signal to get anyone else to look. So we're happily anchored at Totland Bay, and with good signal Freshwater looks alright! Hey ho.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
People can try a PM. We’re at home a lot with the wife’s new hip.

In fact it is pretty breezy here, but a full northerly. Someone is anchored a full 600m out. Not rolling, but I’d want to be nearer.

Last edited: