French Dongle - Cherbourg?

Mrnotming

Visit site
cle 3g

I bought an Orange cle 3G branded dongle (USB modem) from a shop in Toulon.An address had to be concocted as I lacked an Official Bank Document which everybody else seemed to have.(no I can't remember what it's called!) The cost was €80 ish and 1 hour daytime use is possible for €10 with a bonus hour after 8 p.m. So two hours per day for your €10.Over 5 weeks I probably spent €80 keeping sane!Visits to McDonalds cafes became more frequent as time went on in order to save tenners!
I see vodafone ireland offer a blanket charge of about €55 monthly to use the APN vodafone .live only. I wonder would any forumite know if this arrangement is throttled/limited or if it will provide internet as we know it?
If your phone or modem is not configured properly to use the right APN, I understand the consequences are financially dire!
Good thread so far thanks to all.

Blue5

Visit site
I bought an Orange cle 3G branded dongle (USB modem) from a shop in Toulon.An address had to be concocted as I lacked an Official Bank Document which everybody else seemed to have.(no I can't remember what it's called!) The cost was €80 ish and 1 hour daytime use is possible for €10 with a bonus hour after 8 p.m. So two hours per day for your €10.Over 5 weeks I probably spent €80 keeping sane!Visits to McDonalds cafes became more frequent as time went on in order to save tenners!
I see vodafone ireland offer a blanket charge of about €55 monthly to use the APN vodafone .live only. I wonder would any forumite know if this arrangement is throttled/limited or if it will provide internet as we know it?
If your phone or modem is not configured properly to use the right APN, I understand the consequences are financially dire!

Wow, thats getting expensive.

At this rate I think I may be tempted with the Vodafone phone deal of £45 per month inc 25mb a day european roaming and the i-phone, using the laptop for any areas with free wi-fi.

Do McDonalds do Salads? :):)

Playtime

Visit site
This has been useful.

My conclusions from the above are
  • none of the French telecoms companies are offering a sensibly priced PAYG 3G dongle for casual use by UK residents like me :(
  • European data roaming on a UK mobile is pure extortion. :eek:

It appears that the European telecoms suppliers are currently pricing themselves out of the roaming 3G data market.

I have a high power wifi set-up so will persevere with that this summer.

Thanks to all who have contributed (and if anyone disagrees with my conclusions, please lets hear some good news). :)

cimo

Visit site

I've been looking onto vodafone ireland recently. Their best PAYG appears to be as follows- buy a Stick (usb) modem K3765 for 39.99euros. pay 20.00/5GB data while in Ireland. When in spain I need to phone 1800 22 55 88 to
have broadband roaming enabled. Then pay 54.45 for 500MB each month.
Ditto for when I'm in France and UK towards the end of the summer.
Each 500MB roaming allowance expires after 30days and
can't be carried over.

I have been advised in writing that the USB modem comes unlocked and will accept any data sim card. i have asked if this applies to Spanish/French/UK data sims but I've not been sucessful in getting a clear confirmation on that.

I'm 100% sure now that life was much easier before mobile communications!
(though they have agreed to unlock my mobile for me once I had topped up to an acceptable credit level - which was nice).

sychristina

Visit site
wifi france

Hi,
After years of looking into this wifi thing i think i found the answer-for me at least. I have approached many phone shops about a solution, but never found one...mmm.
I have a smart phone (cheap htc) and have orange prepaid mobicarte. There is a wifi option of 'unlimited internet' which costs 9 eu per month. I either use my phone or connect via a 'tether' to my netbook. This all works on an Android system. I personally find it brilliant.
Any questions feel free.

maxi77

Visit site
I used Netaboard between Cherbourg and Dieppe last August. Worked well in all ports that had it. Very good value for money.

Netaboard is OK when you get a good signal, but in high summer I found this difficult especially in the evening. It is probably sensible if you intend using Netaboard to have a high gain antenna.

Eygthene

Visit site
I have just bought an Orange(Fr) Cle (mobile dongle) for 29 Euro and for 8 Euro I get usage of 200MB (per month); unused MB are carried over for 12 months. I can cancel the 8 Euro/month when I come home, without a contract.

http://mobile-shop.orange.fr/telephone-portable/cle-3g-e1752
(see the second option in the panel)

Like Paul Clan, I needed to overcome the bank problem. A very good French friend and fellow Eygthene 24 owner has paid for the deal and has posted the already activated dongle and SIM to me here in UK. It remains to be seen how it all works out when we cruise to south Brittany next month. I shall be able to repay him when we meet in Benodet, as he would rather wait than have the money posted to him.

How's that for entente cordiale?