French boat rams British vessel in Jersey waters

penfold

Visit site
There is also a second attempt by the Axopar to create a situation, the french vessel can be seen to slow/ stop by running astern before they collide again.

IMO the Axopar is the main cause. If Axopar is overtaking they are to keep clear, if they are being overtaken to stand on which they clearly do not. If they are crossing they are the give way vessel. Given the geography and other footage in relation to the wall, someone was being funny and got found out for their poor display of seamanship.
In that instance the blame is entirely the grey vessel's and it is deliberate as they steer into the white vessel; provocation or rubbish seamanship is no excuse for ramming, the COLREGs don't have any clause for "he was asking for it".

Bouba

Visit site
The Axopar did a strange fishtail manœuvre and hit the fishing boat that was following much too closely

Piers

www.playdeau.com
I believe one of the issues is that the French have been using heavy trawl gear on the the islands' scallop beds and almost decimated them beyond repair. Jersey is asking for proof of fishing in their waters and the French don't like it. Why? They turn their AIS off so no-one knows where they've been fishing, or they don't have AIS - so no history! And what's a log-book?

Yesterday, the AIS showed some 25 boats around St Helier - but it's reported that over 70 were there.

Of course, the longer they blockade, the less time they have for fishing...As someone said, keep them blockading!

Portofino

Visit site
We will keep our boat another two years in Italy .
Our little 2 y sabbatical is up August , but with Covid and now stuff like this the French anti sentiment is running high .
I mean a know a lot of folks are turning away from French produce / services / holidays .

Italians are nice to us , no attitude or edge rather pump € into there economy .

Hopefully once Macrons gone and the Fr chancellor does a final totting up of there ( self induced ) bigger covid economic crisis the swingometer will swing back towards Brit friendly in terms of do not bite the hand that feeds you policy/ attitudes / welcome/ can do frame of mind to Brits .

We have a choice .

stelican

Visit site
Well I think we need to take direct action against the French. I propose running down and sinking any Beneteau or Jeanneau vessel found in British waters. Its high time we showed these cheese eating surrender monkeys who rules the waves
The is a 4 pounder installed portside Portsmouth harbour entrance ideally suited. It was originally installed for target practice using Bayliners

jordanbasset

Visit site