French berths

stewart

Visit site
I'm thinking of moving my boat to the cote d'azur later this year (August probably) from Mallorca but not sure where to. I'm planning on spending a couple of days down there soon visiting various marinas but which ones? Golfe Juan/Antibes/Cannes/Nice/Monaco are all possibles but which others are good, and which of these above aren't? Also how is the availability of berths for rent and the cost (14m berth needed) compared to the Balearics?

ccscott49

Visit site
I'm coming to the Ballearics, soon, about end of May, do you know of a place where I can leave my boat for about a month, in June? Sfae and sound, as I have to go back to work then for about three weeks. I will initially be in Ibiza, but would com to Mallorca if theres a place you know, reasonble price, or can you tell me what I should expect to pay? My boat is 17 meters x 4.5 meters Thanks for any help!

stewart

Visit site
I keep mine in Alcudia in Mallorca which is one of the nicest and a great location for cruising with Menorca only an hour away. It's very clean, got great facilities and decent security, in fact it's the only marina I've stayed at in Spain where the pontoons aren't open to the public. The only real downsides are it's 45mins by cab from the airport and the town itself can be a bit package touristy (though not in the loutish way of Magaluff, more of a family place).

As to prices I'm not sure for 17m. I know that there appeared to be quite a few empty berths at the moment which there weren't last year.

Other places I've been are Ibiza town (good night out but marina was a bit dirty), Andraitx (nice town but marina a bit of a trek), Porto Cristo (OK, could be tight for a 17m), Puerto Portals (very nice but no security and expensive if you can find a berth at all!) and Palma (nice town but marina not wonderful - loads of facilities but not that clean and a lot of wash from commercial vessels).

ccscott49

Visit site
Thanks for your help, I'll print that out and keep it for reference, all info gratefully recieved! TCM (MattS) with the leopard is the resident south of France expert, a PM to him would no doubt help with info, or he will see this post soon enough, when he's prowling around! Leopard, Geddit! Oh well, never mind!

ccscott49

Visit site
I've got that book, Stewart, thankyou. But I was just after a bit of local knowledge. And prices etc.

stewart

Visit site
price wise I was paying £30 -£40 per night in a visitors berth in most places for 14m but not sure if 17m would be the same, and that was in August. In terms on renting longer term a 14m is typically 7,500 - 10,000 per annum (except Portals where it's double!). don't know how much you'd add on for 17m.

tcm

Visit site
Nice and mojnaco are actually a bit hopeless unless your boat is the size of a ferry 35m plus. There's beaulieu and st jean cap ferrat, don't know these too well, but too close to italy (urg) for me.

Westwards from the airport its a fab area, so when I criticise, they all score x95 more than UK of course.

Villeneuve Loubet = cheap boat park dead close to the airport. Bit souless, even in summer. Not brillain tfor restaurants. But very very handy for 3 minute cab ride from airport.

Baie des Anges - next clesest, has advantage of a swimming pool (tho not a cheap one) and more restauranrts. This where the massive pyramid flats are. Quite sheltered with the tower blocks, which are getting greener and more attractive, sort of. 10 mins airport

Antibes = nice proper town with little beach but half the berths a long walk from it, so much that they have had to lay on a bus from the far side. Antibes the largest marina in europe. 13 mins

La Galice on other side of cap d-antibes, nice and cutesy, beach close by. 15mins

Golfe Juan = Port Camille Rayon, large so pick your spot carefully. Talk to Olivia Rayon who rules the roost. i.e Pa owns the joint. 20 mins

Port pierre canto at east end of cannes is ok, but not much tonw in walking distance, all residential flats at east end of Cannes. 23mins

Cannes is a municipal port so um you can rent buit not buy. Good place, bit dusty, but bang in the midle of the action. 25 mins

La Napoule = west end of cannes is smaller quite bustly place, a few restaurants and nice little village town hides behind coastal hotel blocks. This + la rague below closest to the autoroute if you fancy blamming down the autoroute anytime. 25 mins (use autoroute to go direct to other side of cannes)

la Rague is bit dead, but safe over winter, not too expensive, but lonely in winter, bit too seasonal. Note also there is an aerodrome at Mandelieu if you ever do a private plane, miles quicker than Nice. 25 mins

Further than this is too far from airport. I have been in la rague, moved to la napoule and wd still be there if has sub-50 foot boat, but otherwise have to be on back wall so off to Antibes for me. I have a berth for sale in la napioule at monstrous amounts of um £100k for twenty years ish.

Best option to givem all a good look wd be to hire a ca, go to la rague by autorute (come off at Cannes mandelieu and follow signs to Theoule) and then come back - you'll be on the outside (coast side of the road. What incredibly fab advice.