French and the col regs

kdf

Visit site
Just got back from 4 great weeks in Brittany - weather was great, food great, the "Duane" were terrible. Due to a gale had to stop in the Scilly's on the way back but that was a nice change too. All in all a great time.

What I didn't like - The vast majority of French boats I met do not appear to understand the col regs. Many times, under power and approaching another boat under power (I was the stand-on vessel) they didn't bother to alter course. One was a life boat returning to base, missed my bow by 10m and he was doing at least 20 knots. Others were sail boats but by and large they all seemed to expect me to alter course.

In most cases I had to take action when the other party got too close. I realize it was August and its busy down there and you therefore get a larger percentage of people who don't take the col regs seriously but it was frustrating and sometimes dangerous.

G

Why stand-on so \'hard\' !

Yep !!

But to be honest, I work to the rule of treat the others as idiots and keep out of their way by bold and unmistakable alterations that keep everyone safe.

Before anyone actually 'gybes' me for it ... read the rules and it actually says ... in 'commoner language' ... if the action of the give way vessel alone is not sufficient or appears not sufficient to avoid a collision, then the stand-on vessel may take such bold action as required to avoid collision.

So don't stand-on too far matey's ... take the easy way and less strain on the heart valves !!!!

AndrewB

Visit site
Nothing like a bit of racist stereotyping ...

... to stir things up.

Let's be honest, there are gentlemen sailors and pushy types all over. A day on the Solent is enough to convince anyone that the French have no monopoly on ignoring the coll regs.

If you don't like being cut up, do what I did and buy a steel yacht. GRP boats can try their luck with us as they please - it won't be our problem, so I no longer get irritated by yachts that cut it fine.

B

bob_tyler

Here lies the body of Captain Jay,
Who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along,
But he's just as dead as if he were wrong.

kdf

Visit site
I think you missed the point completely. If anyone comes too close to me I will always take avioding action whether or not I'm the stand-on vessel. The observation was that it appears that either people don't understand the regs or don't want to abide by them.

jimi

Visit site
Re: With respect, maybe this is the problem.

I cannot see how any avoiding action can be premature .. unnecessary perhaps but premature no.

Jim

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I know what you mean - typically in the French Rivers, exiting boats would seem to prefer driving on the left. Once you accept this fact and don't try to edge over to pass them correctly, its not really a problem.

AndrewB

Visit site
\"If anyone comes too close to me\" ...

... "I will always take avioding action whether or not I'm the stand-on vessel."

And I thought you were a stickler for the rules!!!

IRPCS Rule 17(a) "Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way the other shall keep her course and speed. The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her manoeuvre alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules."

What you are proposing could be contrary to the real rule in some instances.

The difficulty your interpretation creates is in deciding when another vessel is "too close". Perhaps you are taking premature action when other skippers consider the situation is well under control. What the stand-on vessel is required to do is to check that the give-way vessel is "taking appropriate action", which in the first instance means that they are aware of you, and monitoring the situation; then making preparations to manouevre as soon as it is evident a collision would otherwise occur.

G

Re: \"If anyone comes too close to me\" ...

noticed exactly the same thing in france, but came to the conclusion that they enjoyed seeing who blinked first.

when it came to issues like helping you come alongside the pontoon, letting you use their mooring etc, i found them nothing but helpfulness itself. and as for their inclination to sail anywhere in any weather, they have us well beaten.

much against my prejudices and inclination, i found that i liked their attitude toward sailing.

Gunfleet

Visit site

Also, Frenchmen don't immediately presume you are a millionaire if you sail a boat.

kdf

Visit site

Fully agree with your comments - I also noticed that the French sail a lot more than we do. They rerely use their engine, preferring to sail off their moorings. anchor and back onto them again later in the day.

Mind you - it was very interesting (and scary) to watch a 45 footer being sailed off its marina berth in La Trinite. The owner obviously needed a lot more practise!

heerenleed

www.heerenleed.com
The reputation of the Brits

used to be very good in the Netherlands. But lately, we get the feeling that the British stinkpots broke loose in large numbers and all come over to this side of the North sea. We have seen a bunch of some 6 or 7 British motor boats quickly take over the reputation formerly owned by the Germans by not waiting for their turn to go into the Krammer locks. We politely told them that British queing rules also apply here, but to no avail. Later that day, they turned themselves into the day's laughing stock (also taking the Germans' reputation I might add) by making a detour of at least half a mile in order to pass through the opening part of the Haringvliet brigde (which has about 4 times the height they would need).

I know, I know, there are also very nice Germans and very polite British. And very rude Dutch I should add.

I bet we start shouting at the French as well, as soon as they start visiting our parts in larger numbers.

fair winds anyway..

Peter a/b SV Heerenleed, Steenbergen, Netherlands

peterb

Visit site

Instead of thinking of the Colregs in terms of "right of way", try thinking of the "pavement dance". You know, that awkward moment when he goes to his left just when you go to your right, then both change direction and you still can't get past.

What Colregs do is to prevent this happening by specifying one of you to take avoiding action while the other maintains course and speed. But if the stand-on boat starts taking avoiding action, then we may be back to the dance. As far as possible, stick to the rules.