Free mooring in n cyprus

JonJon

Visit site
Well I must say this thread has restored my faith in the philanthropy that characterises the liveaboard community. It is refreshing to findout in a few short posts what Dod's original post meant (you have to admit, to the outsider, it was pretty obscure, if somewhat excited) and it lends a certain clarity to the word 'Freeloader' that I now understand far more clearly. Thank you guys.

dod

Visit site
Well I must say this thread has restored my faith in the philanthropy that characterises the liveaboard community. It is refreshing to findout in a few short posts what Dod's original post meant (you have to admit, to the outsider, it was pretty obscure, if somewhat excited) and it lends a certain clarity to the word 'Freeloader' that I now understand far more clearly. Thank you guys.

Nice one Jon!

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com

Philanthropy etymologically means "the love of humanity", in the sense of "what it is to be human", the essence of our humanity. In modern practical terms, it is "private initiatives for public good, focusing on quality of life"—balancing the social-scientific aspect emphasized in the twentieth century, with the long-traditional and original humanistic core of the word's ancient coinage.

It is generally agreed that the word was coined 2500 years ago in ancient Greece by the playwright, Aeschylus, or whoever else wrote Prometheus Bound (line 11). There the author told as a myth how the primitive creatures that were created to be human, at first had no knowledge, skills, or culture of any kind—so they lived in caves, in the dark, in constant fear for their lives. Zeus, the tyrannical king of the gods, decided to destroy them, but Prometheus, a Titan whose name meant “forethought,” out of his "philanthropos tropos" or “humanity-loving character” gave them two empowering, life-enhancing, gifts: fire, symbolizing all knowledge, skills, technology, arts, and science; and “blind hope” or optimism. The two went together—with fire, humans could be optimistic; with optimism, they could use fire constructively, to improve the human condition.

The new word, φιλάνθρωπος philanthropos, combined two words: φίλος philos, “loving” in the sense of benefitting, caring for, nourishing; and ἄνθρωπος anthropos, “human being” in the sense of “humankind”, “humanity”, or “human-ness”. What Prometheus evidently “loved”, therefore, was their human potential—what they could accomplish and become with “fire” and “blind hope”. The two gifts in effect completed the creation of humankind as a distinctly civilized animal. 'Philanthropia'—loving what it is to be human—was thought to be the key to and essence of civilization.[1]

The Greeks adopted the “love of humanity” as an educational ideal, whose goal was excellence (arete)—the fullest development of body, mind and spirit, which is the essence of liberal education. The Platonic Academy's philosophical dictionary defined Philanthropia as: “A state of well-educated habits stemming from love of humanity. A state of being productive of benefit to humans.” Philanthropia was later translated by the Romans into Latin as, simply, humanitas—humane-ness. And because Prometheus’ human-empowering gifts rebelled against Zeus’ tyranny, philanthropia was also associated with freedom and democracy. Both Socrates and the laws of Athens were described as “philanthropic and democratic”—a common expression, the idea being that philanthropic humans are reliably capable of self-government.

Putting all this together in modern terms, there are four relatively authoritative definitions of “philanthropy” that come close to the Classical concept: John W. Gardner’s “private initiatives for the public good”; Robert Payton’s “voluntary action for the public good”; Lester Salamon’s “the private giving of time or valuables…for public purposes” and Robert Bremner’s “the aim of philanthropy…is improvement in the quality of human life”. Combining these to connect modern philanthropy with its entire previous history, “philanthropy” may best be defined as, “private initiatives for public good, focusing on quality of life.”

The term "Freeloader" in everyday speech refers to the economic free rider problem, and taking advantage of public or private services without due compensation.

More generally, the term refers to a "mooch" or a schnorrer.

Freeloader may also refer to:
Freeloaders (band), an electronic music act
Freeloader (game), a board game created by Cheapass Games
Freddie the Freeloader, a character created by Red Skelton
Freeloader boot disks, a series of video game boot disks (e.g. the Wii Freeloader)

You decide!

rivonia

Visit site
We shall be doing a bank transfer of the €100.00 as the deposit tomorrow along with faxed copies of the signed agreement.

We are reasonably happy as there is a guarantee that if we are not pleased with what we find when we get there a refund will be given.

Only 200 free berths will be given.

Fair winds

Peter

rivonia

Visit site
We shall be doing a bank transfer of the €100.00 as the deposit tomorrow along with faxed copies of the signed agreement.

We are reasonably happy as there is a guarantee that if we are not pleased with what we find when we get there a refund will be given.

Only 200 free berths will be given.

Fair winds

Peter

Thats it all done, we paid the €100.00 deposit and after several attempts managed to FAX through all the necessary paperwork.

Fair winds

Peter