francis marine winlass

anderson

Visit site
does anyone have any info on an F L Marine 12v windlass it has 2 drums for warping no chain gibsy only 1 drum turns the other does not stripping it down the shaft that does not turn is in 2 parts an inner and outer the inner turns the outer does not their is a lever on the side which is on a worm shaft if you pull it towards you it will lock up I think this might be a brake but it does not stop the drum turning the other side with the inner and outer shaft does not have key in the inner shaft but has a key in the outer shaft to turn the drum .see photos

D

Deleted member 36384

I have just refurbished a 24V model SL Francis Marine. The mechanism you describe reads as if it is very similar to the one I have: outer shaft with inner shaft. The worm drive is a brake against free fall but it needs indexing to set it up correctly. Inside is a cone clutch and the worm drive actually pulls the drum out of the cone clutch. There is a trick to assemble it all once fully stripped. The good news is that bearings are readily available and common, as are the cap screws for the flange face. There will be enough meat to use thread inserts if any are stripped. Send me a PM and I can arrange to send you a copy of the manual. Hopefully things are not to different between our models. Mine has the gypsy on one side and the warping drum on the other side, with handle.

Your photos are not linking or being shown.