Fowey

Budgieboy

Visit site
Hi
Spent a night in Fowey and was very disappointed , the guy that smokes and blowscigars in the water taxi was bordering on rude / arrogant .... Some of the shops made you feel like you were lucky to be there .... One woman in a cafe shood us out telling us she only had 2 hands !!! Won't be going back in a hurry ......?

Seajet

Visit site
It used to be my all time favourite harbour, relatively unspoilt; haven't been for years but all I hear is bad news, both on here and from friends who visit by land - tales of the shops changing to the ' Plan B price labels ' when cruise ships come in, have heard that from several people !

prv

Visit site
tales of the shops changing to the ' Plan B price labels ' when cruise ships come in

Well, cruise ships bugger up everywhere. I've been in both Dubrovnik (by yacht) and Lisbon (by square rigger) when those behemoths disgorged their hordes for an afternoon ashore, and felt the place completely change. Fortunately I've never been in Fowey at the same time as a cruise ship.

For what it's worth I took the parents to Fowey at the weekend and have no complaints. Only kind-of downside was the remarkable cost of 200 yards in the water taxi, but that only served to bolster my argument that we should have been using the perfectly good dinghy I have on board, so I didn't really mind :)

Pete

Iain C

Visit site
That's a shame. My only bad experience was last year when the missus and I were both horribly ill on board following mussels. I've also just come back from a night there this year, the harbourmaster could not have been more helpful, the staff in Boots and Prezzo Pasty were also extremely friendly, and even the dolphin appeared to say hello! Also a warm welcome and warm showers in Fowey Gallants SC. That said, it did seem a bit odd that most of the shops don't open until 1000?

I think sometimes things can just conspire against you and put you off a place. Last time we went to the Beaulieu just everything but everything seemed to go wrong...someone coming back to their mooring in the twilight just as the BBQ was lit, the world and their dog on silly short dinghy painters, and some officious muppet in a hi viz vest telling us we could not come into the museum car park on bicycles. Walk, drive, but not allowed to even push bikes along as he thought we were going to try and blag out way into the museum without paying. Idiot.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Maybe not the cheapest place to spend a night or two on a buoy or remote pontoon, but I've always found the harbour staff polite and friendly. Almost all water taxis in the SW are expensive for a relatively short trip ( although I understand that most operate either at a loss, or as a life style choice) so I always use my own tender.

lw395

Visit site
Water Taxis are often dear, I was put off by the price of the Boddinnick Ferry as a foot passenger.
For two of us it was something like £3.60 each way, could have taken the car for an extra eight shillings.
The Old Ferry Inn fed us well and was a nice place to be though.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I love Fowey, went in for breakfast after spending the night in Lantic Bay and the the Harbour Master did not charge men for a short stay, I can't fault that.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I love Fowey, went in for breakfast after spending the night in Lantic Bay and the the Harbour Master did not charge men for a short stay, I can't fault that.

Lantic Bay is a beautiful spot, ideal in the recent offshore winds, makes me feel quite jealous.........

dunedin

Visit site
As a first timer we enjoyed Fowey on our visit last week.

Very busy, as everywhere around there. But pretty, surprisingly shops with things we saw and wanted to buy and nice walks.

Water taxis are a southern softies extravagance - but was prompt and friendly.

tatali0n

www.scapegoatsanon.co.uk
I love Fowey.

It is a bit (and then some) on the expensive side, even by Cornish standards, and I never spend much time in the town. Always found the harbour staff to be courteous and helpful and likewise the ferry and water taxi operators. Then again, could be I've just always been lucky with the ones I've met.

Lantic Bay is indeed gorgeous, as are both nearby Polkeris and Polpero. And the Ferry Inn at Bodinnick is great, good food, good ale and good company, especially since Pascal, the most recent landlord, took it over a few years ago.

snowleopard

Visit site
Plenty of good places in Fowey. Both clubs are hospitable - the Royal Fowey for a good sit-down meal, the Galants for a more rowdy buffet. The chandlery by the HM's office is quite well-stocked and reasonably priced. A reasonable convenience store and Kittow's deli for fresh stuff, including excellent pasties.

I never use water taxis as it only takes seconds to lower the dinghy. Mooring is pricey - over £25 for 12m last year.

Behome

Visit site
Just had a couple of weeks (land based) in Fowey. Still as friendly and charming as ever.
I can heartily recommend Sunny Spice the south Indian restaurant on Fore St. and also the quality and quantity of grub in the Lugger.
The plan is to try to sail round to the SW next season for a waterborne visit.