Foul Fowl

sarabande

Visit site
How do people deal with this social problem ?

[image]
geese.jpg
[/image]

It's jolly nice seeing all the fluffy gosling things around, but when you walk along a marina path and step in birdcr*p, and have to clean the decks when you step on board....

Issues:

1 defensive / aggressive parent birds
2 contaminated bird faeces on shoes
3 RSPCA and protected species
4 birds mate for life apparently
5 other native species getting bullied out of their normal habitat
6 slippery paths

What experiences and solutions does the forum bring to this problem please ?

Q

quimby

Bookmark this valuable site

Boil goose until tender (3-4 hours). Change water every hour. Take meat off the bones.

Prepare Chesapeake Bay Barbecue Sauce:
1/4 cup butter
1 jar good spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 lemon (juiced)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1 bell pepper
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, to taste

Put meat in sauce and heat 30 minutes at 200 degrees.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MASH

N/A
Visit site
Unfortunately not, Snoopy. These are Canada geese and that recipe won't work.

Try this;

Prepare the Goose in the usual manner.

Season to taste.

Soak an ordinary housebrick in water for 24 hrs and wrap in a towel.

Place goose, brick and towel in oven and roast; 180deg C, 20 mins per pound and 20 mins over. Baste occasionally.

When brick is tender, remove and eat. Throw away the goose.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines..."

MASH

N/A
Visit site
The correct solution to this revolting problem is, of course, a vigorous, concerted and nationwide application of Rule .303

tazzle

Visit site
Vile, aren't they? Culling is clearly the way ahead.

Having spent years keeping and handling geese, I try hard to teach friends that the correct response when an agressive, hissing goose runs at you neck outstretched is to stand still, reach down and close fingers gently around neck. Goose will freeze. You can then use a 'comb' of the fingers on your other hand to lift it by the wing roots (it will, it has to be admitted, void its bowels copiously at this point) and carry it quietly for dispatch behind a convenient shed.

The Octopus method (biting its neck and bashing it on a convenient rock several times), although emotionally tempting, is not to be recommended in this case.

MASH

N/A
Visit site
On a similar vein, may I present to the regulars of this forum a means of disposing of another of of natures less loveable creatures.

"Having shot your Cormorant, hold it well away from you and carry it home; these birds are exceedingly verminous and the lice are said to be not entirely host-specific. Hang up by the feet with a piece of wire, soak in petrol and set on fire. This treatment removes most of the feathers and kills the lice. When the smoke has cleared away, take the Cormorant down and cut off the beak. Send this off the the local Concervancy Board, who, if you are in the right area (or the right era) will give you 3/6d. or sometimes 5/- for it. Bury the carcase, preferably in a light sandy soil, and leave it there for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by removing, in part at least, the taste of rotting fish. Dig up and skin and draw the bird. Place in a strong salt and water solution and soak for 48hrs. Remove, dry, stuff with whole unpeeled onions - the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent, so that is very dark brown instead of being entirely black. Simmer in gently in seawater, to which two tablespoons of chloride of lime have been added, for six hours. This has a further tenderising effect. Take out of the water and allow to dry, meanwhile mixing up a stiff paste of methylated spirits and curry powder. Spread this mixture liberally over the breast of the bird. Finally roast in a very hot oven for three hours. The result is unbelievable. Throw it away. Not even a starving vulture could eat it.

This could possibly be adapted by the adventurous for Canada Goose?

Alfie168

Visit site
Use disposable shoe covers. You'l get through a few, but will save transferring the goose s*it everywhere.

My parents thought it would be a good idea to keep geese in the late 50s. I was only small and frightened stiff of the damned giant birds...Then when Christmas came and they all went, me and my brothers cried buckets..."never again" said dad /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif We got goats next /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tim

StanFolds

Visit site
During the summer I saw a method being used that had some results. Small posts were screwed to the dock to suspend a strip of plastic about an inch wide around the dock about 6 inches above the edge. The theory was that they could get up but not over the strip and would drop back into the water. The launching ramp was the main problem. The numbers were reduced and I don't recall anybody tripping over the strip and falling into the river.
Stan

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
3/6 or 5/- how much is that in proper money?

[/ QUOTE ] I dont know five minute after shillings and pence are introduced and you have forgotten the proper units.
5/- is 1 crown so 3/6 is seven tenths of a crown.

(just to refresh your memory futher 4d is a groat, 2/- is a florin and 21/- is a guinea)

God knows how you'll get on if they ever decimalise our currency or invent any European currency.

Q

quimby

Don`t forget the farthings (4=1penny) and two farthings = a half penny.

Norman_E

Visit site
Don't forget that there were 960 farthings to the £. We had real pennies made of copper in those days. £1 worth of pennies weighed about 5lbs. 2 halfpennies or 4 farthings weighed more than a single penny. Just imagine what the old copper coinage would cost to make nowadays, the modern stuff is plated steel to save on cost.

PatrickB02

Visit site
I don’t know about geese, but a friend of mine used to swear by the following method for dealing with nuisance pheasants…

First, soak a packet of raisins in brandy. Next, lay a trail of the raisins from wherever the geese normally hang out to a suitably out of the way spot, where you wait. The geese eat the raisins, following the trail as they go. By the time they reach you, they will be completely pi**ed, and will put up no resistance as you dispose of them at your leisure.

Worth a try…?

Gordonmc

Visit site
Solan goose is so much easier than all your imports like Canada, Barnacle, Brent etc. And cormorants.
First... catch your juvenile Solan Goose by climbing a 300 foot cliff in bare feet and strangling the bu**ers while fighting off their mums and dads. Pluck and singe the young birds, or guga and soak in brine for 24 hours.
The traditional way to cook guga is to boil it in fresh water for an hour, then discard the water with any excess oil and salt, and boil for another half hour or until tender. The smell of the cooking is revolting, but the Niseachs (people from Ness) do regard the guga as a great delicacy.
It can't travel well because it tastes as bad as it smells in Stornoway which is where I had it.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One thinks one will find that these feathery friends are Brent Geese, not Canada geese.

[/ QUOTE ]You had me worried for several seconds that I have been shooting the wrong species all these years.

However:

palebrent300_tcm9-174196.jpg
BRENT GOOSE
canada%20goose_300_tcm9-139738.jpg
CANADA GOOSE

[/ QUOTE ]

The titles seem to have become swapped in my post - don't know what's going on. Suffice to say that the geese in the original post are CANADA GEESE - like these:

canada%20goose_300_tcm9-139738.jpg
CANADA GEESE