Forward looking sounders & Chi Bar?

iangrant

Visit site
Any one with such a fancy bit of kit to determine what is going on with the sandbar - I came over yesterday at just after LW only 2.4M on the depth !

Ian

adarcy

Visit site
Yes please,

Anyone got a forward looking echosounder and comments on them.

We have been thinking seriously of getting one, especially as we have had trouble with our normal echosounder. We replaced the lower unit and glassed it in closer to the centreline and further back but it still doesn't read reliably when up on the plane. Perhaps an FLS would kill two birds with one stone.

They look impressive on the boatshow stands but in real life ???

Anthony

rlw

Visit site
I have one on my Portofino 31. Its an Interphase with thru hull transducer/array, I estimate it to be 5 yrs old. It shows up solid objects very well, you even see the anchor chain. However it is only usefull at tickover speeds as you need time to interpret the display.

Hope this helps

Rob

adarcy

Visit site
Hi Rob,

Thanks for that, as I said we are interested in FLS.
When you say it works on tickover, OK it won't replace our echo (which is poor on the plane) but do you find it useful when turning slowly? I have in mind ftrying to find the centre of depest area when anchoring to allow for swinging. I find you have to round in circles and then still find one part of the swinging cricle is much shallower than one thought, and it's a real pain or even impossible if the anchorage has got busy, to move and redrop the anchor.

Thanks

Anthony