Foreigners Buying UK Boats

Babylon

Visit site
Anecdotal evidence regarding who's buying boats. Just spent two full days down at the yard (doing maintenance on our pride and joy) and can report the following:

1. German bloke in the local pub a bit uncertain at the bar (ordered what I ordered);
2. French people coursing through the chandlers (and not straight off a yacht);
3. Lithuanian man asked me directions (then asked me if I had a trailer for sale);
4. Bumped into local broker who told me he's suddenly ridiculously busy selling boats, with roughly 90% of the buyers being from Euroland.

It makes sense.

AdeOlly

Visit site
I was talking with the manager of a large brokerage on Friday and he confirmed what you're saying. Lots and lots of Euroland buyers. We were talking mobos, (sorry), and with these they are in the main shopping for sub 5 yr old boats from the well known larger builders.

Krusty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.....Lots and lots of Euroland buyers. ....

[/ QUOTE ]
A broker here (N Scotland) tells me they have been very busy in the past four months selling used boats to southern Europe, especially Turkey!

matelot

Visit site
Found exactly the same thing but boat age and brand matters. Boats like HR and Najad and X yachts in demand with prices rising in sterling terms, much less interest in the Bavs and Benns. Westerlies and Moodies - the main market is in the uk and they are old so not many foreign buyers for those.

Apparently the same for chandlery.

But you know what this forecasts dont you? Prices will equalise - why should a Jap maker of electronics or a Swedish boat builder subsidise the UK with prices lower than in the EU. So Uk prices in sterling will rise as they will for non boaty things. Quite why the B of E thinks inflation will stay low I cant imagine.

bluedragon

Visit site
There's a school of thought that the Euro is due for a major correction against the US dollar. Whether the Pound tracks the Euro down, or the Dollar up remains to be seen, but the Euroland buyers might be thinner on the ground later in the year.

flaming

Visit site
In the last 8 months or so 3 boats that were racing in our fleet have been sold as the owners trade up.
Normally this is not a problem as the boat will usually stay in the fleet and race with the new owner.
However all of those boats have gone abroad, all to France.

So that's three boats less on the start line. Despite the rumours over the winter it doesn't look like these will be replaced with new boats...

I

Iota

Prices and expectations have certainly dropped from last summer.

Three brokers I have spoke to recently all say similar things about the sailing market (motor market - very difficult)

Boats upto £100k selling well but at 10%-15% lower prices than this time last year. Some silly offers being made and accepted.

Boats £100k-£200k - difficult with fewer buyers than this time last year and deals being done

Boats over £200k still selling at the same levels as last year but at reduced prices of 10%-15% lower

Foreign buyers interested in cheaper boats of the brands that they would buy in their home market.

Some sellers still have unrealistic expectations of price for their boat

jordanbasset

Visit site
Agreee with much of what you say.

Will qualify it as our recent expereince was concerning the purchase of an AWB, in the 4-10 years old age bracket. Some brokers/owners were flexible on the price (not all by any means) and I was offered what 12 months ago may have been considered bargains. (Just missed a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey37, 5 years old, in good condition that went for £49,000, had seen a similar one where they were asking £64,950).
10 - 15% off asking price was not unusual.

I was also aware of euro zone buyers, who were also in the market for similar boats to me. But like every one else, even with the exchange rate, they were driving hard bargains.

Do not wish to comment on the 'higher end' of the market as I was not looking for that type of boat

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I noticed on the Moody Owners website that there was a M31 for sale at 50000 euros in Holland.Current Uk prices around £30/35k depending on age & condition.It may be advantageous if selling to take your boat to Europe now & sell it there.I bought a boat in Holland a few years ago & got a good deal.I noticed boats were more expensive last year in Holland with euro at about 1.20 to pound.Even more expensive now.Chandlery was much more expensive than here.Our yardstick for checking was the Platimo hand held compass.UK price £29.95,Dutch price 70-80 euros.

matelot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed on the Moody Owners website that there was a M31 for sale at 50000 euros in Holland.Current Uk prices around £30/35k depending on age & condition.It may be advantageous if selling to take your boat to Europe now & sell it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question is, of course, whether the Dutch price is realistic or whether the Dutch seller will have to align to the much larger Uk market for Moodies. I found exactly the same thin when selling my 336 but the 2 high priced foreign ones are still for sale.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I was in SD Marine on Sunday and they're very busy, anf yes most of the offers are from non UK residents. The only trouble according to Roger Moon is the offers they are receiving are VERY low ones.

ParaHandy

Visit site
if 'alf wot this lot are reporting is true then there ought to be some big gaps in most marinas for which eventuality I shall be wringing ma paws in glee as their ever-rising prices is perhaps halted? .... there are some marinas who aren't in a good position financially if their income stream falters ...

FullCircle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In the last 8 months or so 3 boats that were racing in our fleet have been sold as the owners trade up.
Normally this is not a problem as the boat will usually stay in the fleet and race with the new owner.
However all of those boats have gone abroad, all to France.

So that's three boats less on the start line. Despite the rumours over the winter it doesn't look like these will be replaced with new boats...

[/ QUOTE ]

How does that arithmetic work?
if 3 owners are trading up, and 3 boats sold, surely thats the same number of boats, just an increase in length or value surely?