Folly

isandell

Visit site
We had a good meal at the Folly but...

...I suppose everyone else knows that if you go on a Sat in the summer and get a table in the wrong place, you get deafened. Unfortunately we didnt know this. Ruined a good night.

Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
You'll know next time!

As StugeronSteve says, a lot of people go there just for the buzz on a Saturday night. We recently took some Norwegian relatives (together with their girls aged 13 and 15) on a Friday night. Still good fun and dancing on the tables, but subdued compared with Saturdays.

Sorry you didn't know this - it's a feature of the place during the summer months. We tend to avoid Saturdays, as you probably will also.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Pick a nice winter's weekend and you can have a lovely peaceful night up there. Crewpot, loads of crusty bread and a bottle or two of wine, Superb.

<hr width=100% size=1>Think I'll draw some little rabbits on my head, from a distance they might be mistaken for hairs.

knotgood

Visit site
Sorry folks, but I found the food a bit basic, tarted up with a fancy name, yet straight out of the freezer.

Nice location, ambience, and destination, but food average, and on that basis, overpriced.

KevB

Visit site
Not sure you can say it's overpriced, it's not gourmat but it is above average pub grub and about £12 for three courses. Bargain!!!

The Folly is one of my favourite places to visit in the Solent with relitively cheap mooring and a fantastic atmosphere. Would recommend it to anyone who wants a good old sing-a-long and dance on tables. 10/10

As others have said, don't go there fri or sat nights in the summer if you want a quiet evening out.

Oh, nice friendly staff too

BlueChip

Visit site
Keep well away from the 'buy two glasses get the whole bottle' wine offers. The stuff is like dishwater and is not worth drinking. We sent one bottle back, the second was just the same and Andy the Manager said they were all like that and what did you expect for £11!!

knotgood

Visit site
but,....
I must say on the folly Meet weekend, (7th May) despite beeing full to capacity, Andy looked aftr us really well, food was presentable, and fresh, (and quite tasty)and the ambience excellent. i reckon this place is better busy thenn quiet, and take back (most of) my comments on my last posting.

Stay away from the menu, and stick to the specials, which were, contrary to my last posting quite good indeed.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would recommend it to anyone who wants a good old sing-a-long and dance on tables.

[/ QUOTE ]
This dancing on the tables Folly custom intrigues me.

Is it a bit like a posh suburban orgy where initially people engage in normal social chat perhaps discussing spinnaker drop techniques, then on a special signal Yachtmasters kick off their Dubarry boots, leap onto tables and perform Freddie Mercury impressions?

G

Dancing on tables ...

I remember Folly when it was half the size and the Sally Army used to hand out Warcry .... but that was long before the Brewery Chains got going etc. and moorings were to piles not pontoons.

Not long ago they changed the manager and table dancing was banned, food changed and numbers went down ... so they brought back the old manager and things got back to biz .... so long live the Folly ....

There are few pubs that conjure up conversation in various parts of the world as the folly .... I have chatted to people in all sorts of places that know of it, have visited it etc.

So the food may be middle of the road - for me after all that sea air - I can eat a horse between two blankets ... so hunger takes over !! Plus they have some good beers ....

Blimey - council rate for mooring, cheerful water-taxi service, good beer, reasonable food, entertainment etc. - What more do you want ?????

71c63de7.gif

b127dcce.gif

traceyevans

Visit site
Re: Dancing on tables ...

There is nothing better that popping to the folly for a crewpot on a quite cold winters day - a bottle of wine, and then walking the dog up to Island Harbour.....

Saying that, it's just as good in the summer (even the crewpot), but we don't leave Gosport before 2pm.....

Although we live and moor in Gosport, we consider the Folly our local - our baby daughter had her first trip there at 3 weeks old - and at 6 months today, we've lost count of the number of times she's already been there.

Always a friendly welcome, no problems with the dog (and our's is a little lively) - and always great food....

Nothing more to say (it's fantastic) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif- except, can I have the recipes for all the different crewpots !!!!!