Follow up on 'open letter to on line retailers

G

Follow up on \'open letter to on line retailers

A week ago I posted an open letter to the On-Line marine traders so desparate for our business that the have taken customer service to a new hight NOT!
So far out of the seven or so enquiries I made. One wants ME to phone HIM but only when I've made up my mind what engine I want [my enquirery was for a price not a make]. Another whos advert said "100s of engines in stock at bargain prices" mailed back to say they had no engins in stock???. The only sensible reply I got was from dear old BritishSeagull who responded within 24hrs to a quiery about a £3.70 fuel tap sealing kit.
To any retailer worth the name I am still waiting for a PRICE, GOOD DEAL, BARGAIN OFFER, etc etc on a four or five HP, long shaft, FNR, Outboard.
Anyone want to bet this does not get a response from a company who wants to sell £400 to £500 worth of kit.

G

Re: Follow up on \'open letter to on line retailers

Get Real!!!

I find the spirit of your letter rude and offensive. Sounds like you want something for nowt.

Most of these discount companies are on such a low profit margin, why should they cut prices further and make a loss.

Ive bought from many mail order companies advertised in the PBO and found them all very good.

Cliff Dale

G

Now now Cliff possum don't be silly as I said I WANT to spend £400 to £500 so I can't be expecting something for nowt now can I. All consumers are entitled to look for the best deal for themselves, not to do so is daft I am sure you will agree. The point is, if a retailer invests his money in advertising for customers. Not to respond to the enquiries his advertising generates is just plain stupid. Once again I am sure you would agree, for not to do so would put you in the same catagory as the as the dumb buggers that can't seem to understand how to run a profitable business [West marine can do it from the US, they see us in the UK as valuable customers]. I realy can not understand your point, do you like paying more and waiting longer?

G

Some of these discount companies, so they claim, operate on a 3% profit margin. If this is true then your £500 engine will make £15 less tax to government. From their point of view, I understand that they are only interested in taking firm orders from customers.

CD

G

Best bet is to ring a few and see what is on offer. I have tried email to various chandlers and many of my messages seem to be lost in the ether. A far better result was achieved by phone calls.

good luck

Pete

G

Cliff mate, do the maths. If they only make 3% thats only £30,000 GROSS on a turnover of £1,000,000. One would have to have a turnover of several millions to make it worth while. The real answer is they are bad business people out for a quick buck, but they are too lazy, incompedent,and inefficient to understand that they have to put a little effort and enthusiasm into what they do.

G

Im rather surprised by the lack of knowledge that this thread has shown ....3% profit?......NO WAY not on the size of company we are dealing with here..even the supermarkets with billions in turnover make more that that ....and thats nett profit..

and fellas....we are talking MARINE here ...you know, think of an outragous number.. then double it.

Generally the people you get decent service out of in this area are the manufacturers ..Like Lewmar ..hawk aerials and things like that... retailers usually just want your money and no problems...

did you know that the mark up on marine stuff usually exceeds 1000% between the manufacturer and the customer?.......if it costs 60p to make ..you get stuck for £6.00....just think of fan belts at £6/7 a time ...filters at £8/10.....starter motors at £260.00!!! all have auto equivalants at perhaps 1/3rd of the price

3%?........Sir ...you Jest !