Folding radar arch

Salty Sealine

Visit site
Still yet to view a 30DS, but looked at a Princess 315 yesterday. Lovely boat with lots of work done in 04/05, although will shatter my budget!!!

Radar arch would mean I could not get above Cookham lock cut bridge, so although the arch looks like it is a permanent fixture, does anyone know if is possible if the arch can be removed (without affecting the structure of the boat) or made so it can be hinged?

capsco

Visit site
If you remove it, it will not affect the structure of the boat, it is also possible to hinge them, needs to be done properly though as they are quite flimsy once unbolted, the hinge needs to be full length and well secured up inside the arch to prevent flexing.

They are also quite heavy and tricky to manouvere.

pande

Visit site
Have a look at a Princess 35. They have folding arches and they're not that difficult to lower/raise.

oldgit

Visit site
"Have a look at a Princess 35"
Think you will find standard item well and truly fixed to rest of boat.......
Early Corniche and Turbo 36 have foldy S/S jobs tho....
My chums Fairline Bravo has had the job done but expect to pay around a least
£ 800 pounds for armstrong version or well over £1K plus for hydraulic or electric.

pande

Visit site
I never suggested that they came with folding bridges as standard...but, nearly all of the ones I've seen have them. Just thought they would be a good example to go and look at.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Very easy to set up as a folding arch. Lots of firms will do the job and in less than a day. When I had mine done it was completed in about 4 hours and that included fitting hydraulic rams either side.

tamarix

Visit site
Do you have any company names or numbers for the people who did your arch. I have a hinge but its a pain lowering it, I managed to put my foot through the cockpit canopy last time I did it .
D oh!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
It was a long long time ago and I don't even know if this number is still valid. The chap that did mine was a Mike Bardowil and his number then was 07976 2264812.

Karibu

Visit site
Very easy to set up as a folding arch. Lots of firms will do the job and in less than a day. When I had mine done it was completed in about 4 hours and that included fitting hydraulic rams either side.

Hi byron
I appreciate this is is an old thread but could you let me know who did this work for you as I need to get the same done to a Sealine 328

byron

RIP
Visit site
Unfortunately all this time later I have no details to give you. Hopefully some helpful Forumite will give you names. It really is a simple job.

Chris_d

Visit site
Cant help but are you sure you need to do it, I have seen 328s as far up as Abingdon without a folding arch, they should go under Windsor and Cookham no problem.

boatingdave

Visit site
I've just sold my Princess 415. I hinged the arch myself including designing and manufacturing the SS hinges. It isn't difficult. However I didn't put Rams so getting the arch up and down wasn't easy although whilst out at sea you could still get access to the original retaining bolts so it could be secured stronger then the original (with the added strength of the hinge). Used to take about 10 minutes to drop so on the Thames I used to leave it down a lot of the time but in the open sea it was bolted tight so a good compromise. However just changed the boat for a Fairline Squadron so have to start all over again although may seek assistance this time to save me the time!

Last edited:

boatingdave

Visit site
Ok, I've done loads of searching on the Internet and can find neither companies that would put hinges on the arch or where I could find the parts to hinge the radar (i.e. Invert to get under old windsor) or where I can find the parts to hinge the metal work to hinge the metal work above the arch. The arch is actually 12' 'bare' so I may get away with just dropping everything above the arch itself. Anyone any thoughts?

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Steve End Engineering.01628 472374.
SL7 1LW.

A1 top quality stainless fabricators.i have always had to take what needed doing to him.

princess 45 gary

Visit site
hello ive got princess 45 and its got a low sporty radar arch .it is the same height as the windscreen .im looking for a standard on princess 45 models 1984-1989 .i will be happy to swap all bars and radar arch . regards gary pls pass on to princess 45 owners for Thames cruising or pls email me at essexcountycustoms@hotmail.co.uk

Other threads that may be of interest