foam rubber sealy strip

neil_s

Visit site
Evening all. I hope you all got to see your boats today. I had a look at mine, but decided to go out for a trip in the dinghy instead of doing some jobs. My excuse being that the Seagull had been running a bit rich and I needed to find out if my repair efforts were successful. Home again, now, and I find the Canpa forehatch on the bench. I am replacing the acrylic, but now find that the sealing gasket needs replacing. This gasket is made of 1/2 inch x 3/8 or thereabout foam rubber strip - I guess its neoprene. This is glued into a slot with rubber glue. Anybody know where I could get a short length of this stuff? A surf gives lots of places who would like to furnish me with production quantities but I only need about 2 metres.

Cheers! Neil

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Neil,

Give your local glass / window supplier a call, they have all sorts of seals and cheaper than marine outlets, you might even get an off cut.

PS. I'm not out in the boat this week end either, Removes one of the saildrives yesterday (Saturday) and will pull it all apart today.

Had one major win, VP wanted around AU$500.oo for a complete set of seals and bearings, I contacted a local bearing supplier and got them under AU$100.oo. That must be very expensive cardboard boxes VP supply with parts.

Avagoodweekend......

neil_s

Visit site
Yeah I thought of that - but they want to supply stuff with glue already on. I used some to make a gasket around my cockpit floor, where it covers the engine. It worked all right to start with, but the glue went all gooy and the gasket wouldn't stay in the right place. I want to use the thixofix type rubber glue on the forehatch to make sure it stays put. Good result with the saildrive parts - VP must be buying them from someone - all you need to find out is who!

Cheers! Neil

FAITIRA

Visit site
Neil, look at sealsplusdirect they have a wide selection of profiles, I got new hatch seals from them, they were excellent. Bill.

FAITIRA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
KBT, look at Ecarter's post! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same outfit?, didn,t realise! Thanks for taking the trouble to let me know (smilie).