Fly

wully1

Visit site
I suggest that that tells you all you need to know about the costs involved in repairs.

I wonder how easy it would be to put a "proper" rig on her

Shouldn’t be too onerous? The hull is strong enough for the lateral load from the aero rig so all you’d need would be a fore stay and back stay. Bung on some shrouds for the looks and off you go...

• Haha
Reactions: dom

Stemar

Visit site
It's a bolt on cast lead fin keel. To convert to a houseboat, it would make sense to remove the keel and sell the lead for scrap (about £1.20/kg).
I think I'd leave a bit for stability. Probably wouldn't need a lot, but I reckon a nice rounded hull with the centre of gravity above the waterline could get interesting if the wind gets up, especially when you're moving to another location.

Maybe turn it into a bilge keeler so it can take the ground - at least it'd go on a cheaper mooring like that, but I suspect that would be a bit of work - definite tooth-sucking from whoever you commission to do it!

Keith 66

Visit site
I wonder how if much thought was put into making the multiple systems accessible. A lightning strike could have fried virtually everything.
If there is good access through trunking to remove redundant stuff & simplify it all well & good. If you have to start destroying that beautiful interior to get at things costs will escalate rapidly.
Likewise re rigging. Junk the aero rig then you got to get to the hull sides to put in rigging attachment points, More ripping out & reinstating.

Romeo

Visit site
Well, the consensus seems to be junk the rig...

Dealer says: "While the Aerorig might put some potential purchasers off, it shouldn’t, because it’s operation is simplicity itself and it is very impressive how easy it makes it to sail a 70 foot, nigh on 50 tonnes yacht alone. It's an asset on this seventy foot yacht for those who cruise short-handed, particularly if they intend to make long passages. " And I like the way it must be used to lift a pretty substantial looking tender aboard. However if I was going to spend substantial money on a second hand boat, I would want all my friends to fall over themselves telling me how gorgeous she is, and sadly this will not achieve this. Like the stove down below.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Dealer says: "While the Aerorig might put some potential purchasers off, it shouldn’t, because it’s operation is simplicity itself and it is very impressive how easy it makes it to sail a 70 foot, nigh on 50 tonnes yacht alone. It's an asset on this seventy foot yacht for those who cruise short-handed, particularly if they intend to make long passages. " And I like the way it must be used to lift a pretty substantial looking tender aboard. However if I was going to spend substantial money on a second hand boat, I would want all my friends to fall over themselves telling me how gorgeous she is, and sadly this will not achieve this. Like the stove down below.

You would just have to blindfold them till you got them below.

LouisBrowne

Visit site
Thanks for the explanation Fr Hacket; so as I understand it the fore and aft axis is programmed in and the individual LED lights shine red, green or white accordingly