Floating voters: How living on a boat meant I didn't officially 'exist'

macd

Visit site
No, but they can expect it to be difficult to prove a connection with a constituency. Perhaps there should be an MP especially for people in that position, though of course you're then have to prove that you didn't have a connection with a geographical constituency, which could be just as hard.

...but ain't it odd that to stand for election to Parliament in a constituency, you need have no connection with it? :ambivalence:

RAI

Visit site
In most countries the right to vote for the national government is based on nationality. The right to vote, anywhere in the world, any time after leaving the country. In the UK, nationality doesn't seem to matter, only residence. A lack or residence after 15 years leads to loss of a vote. In most countries, non-nationals cannot vote for the national government.

lukedh

Visit site
For any floating voters in Brighton who don't have a residential address and haven't been able to register to vote and would like to.

Go to Brighton Library on Monday and just inside the door the nice lady will give you the correct forms to fill in to show your Local Connection to put you on to the Electoral Register.

Monday is the last day for anyone to register for this election.

Fox Morgan

Visit site
I have shared the same bits of canal with Lois. I am "Joan" in her feature.
While I was on the canal system, I didn't find a legitimate way of registering to vote. I was a constant cruiser, which means I had no address other than my work address in the middle of London which wasn't possible to use for electoral register. This meant that at the last election I missed out.
I was determined to sort out the the problem this time around. I am based in a marina currently. I used that address as my address, despite not being official residential.
They (council) accepted that. So I am able to vote this time around. However, I find myself moored in a conservative safe seat. Next time I will find a marina somewhere marginal! use my vote to best effect. surely that should be a benefit of being transient?