Floating rope

Krusty

Visit site
Almost thirty years ago I bought a composite 3-strand rope, then marketed as 'Sea Queen', which was 80% white nylon with 20% polypropylene in green strands.
It was strong, fairly elastic, supple and easy to grip: and it floated, so ideal for harbour mooring lines; better by far than polypropylene.
It was also much less bulky than 100% polyprop, better to handle and much easier to coil and stow.

I sailed northern Scotland as a sea-school when pontoons were rare, so most of my harbour-berthing was at piers or stone quays. By a rough calculation, those lines were used over a thousand times and never once did I have one round the prop. They went with the boat, still in serviceable condition.

I have tried to find that rope again, but the name is now in use for something else and searches of catalogues have been fruitless.
Please, does anyone know of such a rope available now ?

Last edited:

fisherman

Visit site
Almost thirty years ago I bought a composite 3-strand rope, then marketed as 'Sea Queen', which was 80% white nylon with 20% polypropylene in green strands.
It was strong, fairly elastic, supple and easy to grip: and it floated, so ideal for harbour mooring lines; better by far than polypropylene.
It was also much less bulky than 100% polyprop, better to handle and much easier to coil and stow.

I sailed northern Scotland as a sea-school when pontoons were rare, so most of my harbour-berthing was at piers or stone quays. By a rough calculation, those lines were used over a thousand times and never once did I have one round the prop. They went with the boat, still in serviceable condition.

I have tried to find that rope again, but the name is now in use for something else and searches of catalogues have been fruitless.
Please, does anyone know of such a rope available now ?

I've got barrels full of it, about three miles worth. If you get stuck I'll give you some. We used to use it for long lines, it does actually sink, when thoroughly wet. It was cheap and better than the sisal we used before. Another variety was called Greenfil, but lower quality. Find a longline fisherman.

Krusty

Visit site
Thank you, fisherman! It is not quite the same, (hemp, not nylon) but it sounds like it does the same job.
I shall search for some, and if unsuccessful, come back to you.
Regards,
K

Last edited:

fisherman

Visit site
Thank you, fisherman! It is not quite the same, (hemp, not nylon) but it sounds like it does the same job.
I shall search for some, and if unsuccessful, come back to you.
Regards,
K

You misunderstand: I have got barrels full of Sea Queen, 10mm dia. I'm sitting on a fortune!

fisherman

Visit site
Thank you, Fisherman, but 10mm simply will not do. The nees is for at least 14mm; twice as strong and easier to handle. Perhaps even 16mm.

I thought that might be the case. We used to get it from Cosalt, but Cotesi may be worth a try, probably have to ring and ask them. It was designed to be a buoyancy neutral rope. There are probably good alternatives at Cotesi, ask for samples. Their website is no good, links don't work.

cryan

www.cryco.co.uk
Dyneema rope floats, is light weight and easy to handle. It has no stretch to speak off but that's good if it does part as virtually no recoil. It is also unrivalled for strength. When I was on the Tugs in Rosyth we used it for all our work from towing to mooring up at night. Our Tow line was 2" and could handle 20 Tonnes. Mainbrace Marine in Rosyth supplied all of ours.