flatening reef

Strathglass

Visit site
All mainsails are usually now fitted with a cuningham as it is much less hastle to adjust a cuningham control line than the main hailard when under way. It also gives the benifit of maximum sail area in light weather.
I always rig the flatening reef control line back to the cockpit as it is a quick and easy to reduce sail power.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site
For some reason that escapes me, even if you have space above the mainsail to pull it up higher and tighter with the halyard, it is easier to pull the bottom downwards with the Cunningham than the top up with the halyard. Ours is a line from an eye on one side of the mast, it goes up through the Cunninham eye and back down to a cleat on the other side of the mast. This gives a 2:1 advantage and even with a bar taut halyard you can adjust it quite a bit by hand. We also have a free winch in the right place to take a turn or two round, but if we didn't (as on our last boat) then the Cunningham was adjusted with a small tackle.

Keep it on it's feet means upright. Most boats 'lookl' fast when heeled over, with the lee decks awash, but in reality they are not, the possible exception being the very old designs with long overhangs and narrow beam that need to heel in order to immerse more length at the waterline. Hull speed max comes from waterline length (1.34 x sq root of W/L in feet = hull speed in kts), so longer waterline = more speed potential. It is hard to make yourself reef when all feels fine but very often it will be faster if you do and certainly more comfortable. Practicing what I preach is not so easy though!

Robin

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

boatless

Visit site
Should add what I don't think has been mentioned (ageing eyes).

Unlike a 'normal' reef the flattener does not need to go back down to the boom, so you can use a clip shackle on the outhaul and just switch it to the flattener. Because the procedure for putting it in is - bear in mind you're going to be close hauled with the boom over the cockpit - ease outhaul - release shackle - connect to flattener - pull flattener hand tight - ease kicker - swift main ease and tighten flattener (pull boom up - not loaded sail down) retighten main and kicker

This can be done v quickly, with the main being unpowered for less than ten seconds.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tsmyth

Visit site
Thank you.

I see the point that you are making with regard to it being easier to use a cunningham.

I must see if I can rig one.

I like the "on its feet" definition. It makes good sense.

Ray

<hr width=100% size=1>Heat Wave