Flashing anchor lights

nortada

Visit site
Re: Point of order‼️

I doubt anyone sailing on the West coast of Corsica is going to be too bothered about the RYA's thoughts on flashing masthead lights!

Must agree.

Sailing in the Walton Backwaters, I am still not too concerned on the RYA’s views on most things. :encouragement:

RYA ❓Don’t get me started‼️

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

And if, perchance, the guardians of the International Rules sport big guns, I am all ears. :D

Rather than putting a metaphorical two fingers up to some mythical guardians of the IRPCS, I prefer to worry about what my insurance might use to wheedle their way out of potential claims. Pointing out that one is not following IRPCS seems an easy option for a loss adjuster....

nortada

Visit site

Rather than putting a metaphorical two fingers up to some mythical guardians of the IRPCS, I prefer to worry about what my insurance might use to wheedle their way out of potential claims. Pointing out that one is not following IRPCS seems an easy option for a loss adjuster....

True; for that reason I always observe IRPCS. My comment was directed towards the self-appointed 'mythical guardians' (of many things).

Should admit that in the areas I cruise, this does't seem to happen.

Suspect it is a Solent disease.;):encouragement:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I've no problems with weird lights on boats at anchor. I'd prefer it if they had at least the minimum of an all round white visible for two miles but coming into an anchorage on a dark night I'm grateful for garden lights, fishing net markers or fairy lights rather than no lights.
As to legality, provided there's an all round white light then anything else is down to the owners. Disco lights, colour changing lights, white strobes, red strobes...... nothing 'illegal' in them. It's only in the absence of an all round white that they become 'illegal' but I doubt you'll find anyone taking much notice of such 'illegality' in the Med unless you've seriously upset the local constabulary.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I've no problems with weird lights on boats at anchor. I'd prefer it if they had at least the minimum of an all round white visible for two miles but coming into an anchorage on a dark night I'm grateful for garden lights, fishing net markers or fairy lights rather than no lights.
As to legality, provided there's an all round white light then anything else is down to the owners. Disco lights, colour changing lights, white strobes, red strobes...... nothing 'illegal' in them. It's only in the absence of an all round white that they become 'illegal' but I doubt you'll find anyone taking much notice of such 'illegality' in the Med unless you've seriously upset the local constabulary.

With you there Duncan , although not many years back to our amazement, late one night in Nidri the PP are out and fined a few for not having a anchor light on , now that's a first, isn't it .

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
duncan99210;6420107As to legality said:
Disco lights, colour changing lights, white strobes, red strobes...... nothing 'illegal' in them[/B]. It's only in the absence of an all round white that they become 'illegal' but I doubt you'll find anyone taking much notice of such 'illegality' in the Med unless you've seriously upset the local constabulary.

Don't have the regs to hand but seem to remember there's something along the lines of not using something which could be confusing as in, could be taken for a navigation light etc. Could be fun if anchored just outside a channel, displaying an alternating red & green net light:)

nortada

Visit site
Don't have the regs to hand but seem to remember there's something along the lines of not using something which could be confusing as in, could be taken for a navigation light etc. Could be fun if anchored just outside a channel, displaying an alternating red & green net light:)

Don't worry; if in the mood, in Portugal they will nick you for something.:encouragement:

No fishing license. But I am not fishing - you have the kit so you could be.;)

No dog licence. We don't have a dog and there aren't dog licences in Portugal - you might get one and we are thinking of introducing dog licencing.:D

Not wearing a life-jacket. But I am in my pajamas and going to bed - people have been known to drown in their PJs.:p

Then there is the correct way to enter and leave a roundabout, that is a real no-win:disgust::ambivalence:

That will be €60 savash favor.

Fortunately, unless pushed, with the exception of the GNR, the Portuguese are rarely in the mood.:sleeping:

Last edited:

alant

Visit site
Don't worry; if in the mood, in Portugal they will nick you for something.:encouragement:

No fishing license. But I am not fishing - you have the kit so you could be.;)

No dog licence. We don't have a dog and there aren't dog licences in Portugal - you might get one and we are thinking of introducing dog licencing.:D

Not wearing a life-jacket. But I am in my pajamas and going to bed - people have been known to drown in their PJs.:p

Then there is the correct way to enter and leave a roundabout, that is a real no-win:disgust::ambivalence:

That will be €60 savash favor.

Fortunately, unless pushed, with the exception of the GNR, the Portuguese are rarely in the mood.:sleeping:

Are there "roundabouts" at sea in Portugal then, 'cos I've never seen one.

pauldoody

liveaboard, portugal, spain Morrocco, canaries, az
Visit site
Re flashing anchor lights; I believe they can cause confusion in an anchorage as it can be difficult to gauge distance from them. However my main gripe is that they are a pollutant and an eyesore in an anchorage. If we were all to use them, it would be unbearable sitting in the cockpit after sundown with a complete anchorage flashing.
I know this may not be much of an issue in more temperate areas, but in the quiet peaceful anchorages of southern europe and elsewhere they are an abomination and should be actively discouraged.

capnsensible

Visit site
Maritime muppetry at its worst. Plonkers.

Big ships with a flashing red for hazardous goods can kinda get away with it but a small boat anchorage makes it bonkers.

You could make that rhyme.......

t21

Visit site
I think there might be worse things than a flashing anchor light, really? Not legal as the only light but the idea of paying some local night-time police to wake up the culprits sounds expensive. Med fishing boats have all sorts of flashing lights. Bicycles have flashing lights also illegal as sole rear light even on govt rental bikes ... but I imagine the police have better things to do than haul them up.

Maybe give us a full list of what drives you bonkers. Or is it just the flashing anchor lights?