Flares over the Orwell yesaterday

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
Hi
Anyone see this - East Anglian Daily Times report

Did anyone else see these flares yesterday.

I was driving down the approach road to Levington Marina (to collect a sail) when I saw a red parachute flare on a line from where I was to the far end of Felixstowe Docks. It was difficult to judge whether it was in the Orwell or beyond the docks and out to sea.

I felt I should the Coastguard to let them know what I had seen as I thought the bearing along which which I had seen the flare might help them pinpoint the source of the flare as other reports may be from on the water.

I was unsure what to do originally (i.e. should I use 999) but ended up phoning on their landline. They seemed pleased that I had done so.

It's the first time I've seen a flare and I was nowhere near the boat!

Weird.

shmoo

Visit site
Some time ago, about this time of year, I saw a handheld red flare while on a buoy at Queenboro. With our draft I wasn't going to let go and start poking about to see what was happening for fear of grounding. Anyway Coasties said something like "are you sure?" "wait for another one". Passing tug pointed zillion candle power seachlight on scene to reveal small open boat in the mud, with one occupant out of boat, knee deep in mud, pushing!

All ended ok, but not a good time of year to have to rely on flares close to habitation.