Flares in Portimao

Sandyman

Visit site
Someone posted the other day that flares are available from a store in Portimao.
Anyone know further details?
German friends wish to return home with there boat after 5 years on the hard
and all there flares are well out of date.

Heckler

Visit site
Someone posted the other day that flares are available from a store in Portimao.
Anyone know further details?
German friends wish to return home with there boat after 5 years on the hard
and all there flares are well out of date.

I got mine from John in Ayamar in Ayamonte, best prices around.
Stu

Sandyman

Visit site
Tks for that Stu. Apparently John has left Ayamar & its now being run by a Spaniard with zero experience of the marine industry.

GHA

Visit site
Sopromar have a chancellery up in the boatyard area, eye watering prices like their Lagos shop - but would probably get them in with a phone call if not on the shelf.
Ayamar might well be cheaper, I got bits couple months ago there , John was still in the shop and the other guy seemed keen to please and nice enough (if that's the new guy) - might be worth a chat there, not like there's loads of options to get wrong.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Sopromar have a chancellery up in the boatyard area, eye watering prices like their Lagos shop - but would probably get them in with a phone call if not on the shelf.
Ayamar might well be cheaper, I got bits couple months ago there , John was still in the shop and the other guy seemed keen to please and nice enough (if that's the new guy) - might be worth a chat there, not like there's loads of options to get wrong.

Problem in Portugal is that it's illegal to buy/sell flares without written permission from the police on production of boat documents. Rumour has it that someone in Portimao is supplying without.

nortada

Visit site
Understand that the RYA is actively seeking authorisation for U.K. Flagged vessels to dispense with pyrotechnics in favour of the electronic alternative.

Not before time as flares in the hands of the inexperienced in a state of emergency is another disaster just waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Sandyman

Visit site
Problem in Portugal is that it's illegal to buy/sell flares without written permission from the police on production of boat documents. Rumour has it that someone in Portimao is supplying without.

Didn't know that Graham. Is that the PM ? Is there a standard form or do they just give you a chitty ?

GrahamM376

Visit site
Didn't know that Graham. Is that the PM ? Is there a standard form or do they just give you a chitty ?

Don't know as we've always bought ours from John or the chandlers at Isla Christina. Another alternative is to have Algarve Freight bring them out from UK. Last time we replaced them, we handed the old ones in to the PM in Faro and they didn't ask if we had obtained new or where from.

greeny

Visit site
Last time I bought flares in Portimao I had to get a signed form from the marine police office in Portimao before Ondanautica would supply them to me. I needed to produce the boat documents to get this form signed. Police office took the old ones off me and didn't require any paperwork for this. This was 8yrs ago.
Since then I've been taking a trip to Ayamonte and getting them off John, the old ones I still take to the police office in Portimao and give them in. Didn't know John had left the shop in Ayamonte but I assume they can still supply flares as before? Does anyone know as I need to replace some again this summer.
Greeny

damsis44

Visit site
We tried to buy flares in Ondanautica on the yard at Portimao last week, they said it was now impossible to buy flares in Portugal for leisure craft! They also said it was illegal to sell them without written permission of Maritime Police, so they didn't stock them any more. We didn't try Sopramar based on this information. We did however hand our expired flares over to the office manager at the Estaleiro da Marina de Portimao who said he would pass them to said police for safe disposal.

greeny

Visit site
"impossible to buy flares in Portugal for leisure craft" I'm not sure how this can be true as "in date" flares are a legal requirement for pleasure boats in Portugal. Probably more likely that ondanautica can't be bothered with the beaurocracy any more and don't stock them. I'm back down there this week and I'll find out then. I know the guys in Ondanautica and Sopramar quite well and I'll try to get to the bottom of it. Having said that, I'll probably still go to Ayamonte for mine due to the likely difference in prices. I'll also find out if David at the estaleiro will take the old ones off me. It'll be handy if he does.

damsis44

Visit site
"impossible to buy flares in Portugal for leisure craft" I'm not sure how this can be true as "in date" flares are a legal requirement for pleasure boats in Portugal. Probably more likely that ondanautica can't be bothered with the beaurocracy any more and don't stock them. I'm back down there this week and I'll find out then. I know the guys in Ondanautica and Sopramar quite well and I'll try to get to the bottom of it. Having said that, I'll probably still go to Ayamonte for mine due to the likely difference in prices. I'll also find out if David at the estaleiro will take the old ones off me. It'll be handy if he does.

Probably true that Ondanautica can't be bothered with the bureacracy, but not sure about the legal requirement to have flares on a leisure craft, my (albeit limited) understanding is that IF you have flares they HAVE to be in date, ie 'out of date' flares are illegal and liable to get you fined.
Yes, it was David that took ours off us for disposal.

Other threads that may be of interest