Flak invited: qualifications for French-reg boats

G

I was talking to DaveS at the weekend. There's a marina next door to his home port of Ramsgate: Calais. There, he hears talk of various chaps with various qualifications to alow them to drive various boats. Level 4 allows a 10 metre up to 5 miles offshore, he says. Now, I have ICC and loads of experience of driving backwards into spaces 3inches wider than the boat. The list of UK manadatory qualifications is: . But are there any regs/licences req'd to drive a french-reg boat? Wot about 23 metre one? And is this why the skipper is thrown in?... oh gawd. Shuttup and answer the question!

G

i once worked with a guy, who sailed over to france (one of those strange raggey types). some french official got up set with him when he could not produce any RYA qualifications upon demand. upon inquiring if his other qulifications would do? the official said he doubted it , but would have a look.
at this point a "class 1 master mariners certificate" was produced! the french official grudgingly accepted it as acceptable.
person enjoying himself 1 french burocrats 0

G

Of course if you are skippering commercially out of a port in France, on a French registered sailing or power boat, however small, a classic piece of EU endorsed legislation requires you not only to hold the French PPV qualification (almost identical to Yachtmaster), but even better to be a French national too!

G

Re: charters tho?

is that "skippering commercially" ? tellus more