Flak invited: ever owned Penta OUTBOARD?

Steve_Bentley

Visit site
Ahem. I have just been given a Penta 25hp outboard and some other bits when I bought a huge old inflatable. I'd never heard of Volvo doing outboards so went to the posh shop in the local marina in search of manuals and got laughed out of the shop (I shouted "But I didn't pay for it!" to no avail). The one bit of help they did give was that it must be 25 years old. Why did Volvo stop making them? I figure one of 2 reasons; either unrealiable or unprofitable.

Anyone ever had one and can you still get service parts before I pull it apart to check it out? Thanks.

jfm

Visit site
Re: History lesson

They were common in the early 70s, then for some reason VP seemed not to develop the range and they got left behind by Merc and OMC. The biggest they ever made was 70hp and by the late 1970s everyone wanted more. Originally they were branded Volvo Penta, then they became Penta, then went defunct. Yours is likely 25ys old ish. To be honest, they are pretty much junk (they were a bit naff when new) and I would expect hard to get spares for. They were more popular on rivers canals than sea, if that helps as a source of workshops/spares.

What bits do you need for it anyway?

JFM

Steve_Bentley

Visit site
Re: History lesson

Thanks for not laughing! I haven't started pulling it apart until I know if I can service the water pump etc as there seems to be 2 choices with these things: either service it properly which might involve spending some cash (but there's no point spending money on the powerhead only to find something lower down can't be serviced and I've just wasted that money), or secondly don't spend anything on it and make sure there's always oars on board (its only on an inflatable)!

Thanks.

Steve_Bentley

Visit site
Re: have a look at this thread for some info....

Shockingly polite! And it seems at least someone's still running one (albeit in Australia- maybe they're working on another "Mad Max" sequel?). Maybe Fosters as an additive helps their longevity? Not sure that shipping costs from the other side of the world would be too good on anything other than a gasket set but if it comes to it at least it's an option!

Many thanks!

G

For what it's worth, in about '72 I bought a secondhand 50HP longshaft ELECTROLUX Penta outboard and it was really a pretty good engine. Electric start, charging etc which in those days was quite unusual. If I remember corretly EP had been bought out by Volvo late 60's early 70's and renamed. The engine ran OK till I siezed it up and couldn't even back then, get any reasonably priced spares so bought a Merc instead and the EP became an anchor. Nothing changes eh.

And no before any of you ask it didn't double up as a fridge.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Flak.

You asked for it! Buying outboards in 72 must make you very old indeed!!!!!

I was still in short trousers then.......come to think of it I still am. Nothing changes (except the underwear).

G

Re: Flak.

Not really, just very young when I started boating. Built me first boat when I was three after finishing a degree at Coventry University and worked as Farley's Rusks chief designer before starting school and then.....

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: Flak.

That's nothing. I bought my first outboard before my first birthday, motored round the world in my pram dinghy (which I not only made myself but also designed it) non stop before I was 2 and then bought and asset stripped Farleys rusks before taking up the professors chair of design at Coventry by 3, where incidentally I sent down a chap called Colin Maslen for being too flippant and for forging his A level results, which apparently he took before failing his 11 +.
Aaaah, those were the good old days...................