flags

G

I promised myself I would never get involved in this debate, but over the years I have read with amusement heated exchanges in "Letters to Various Editors", from red faced colonels (no offence meant to red faced colonels, but that`s what you imagine), about who is entitled to this, that, or the other ensign. Have you noticed that our French, Dutch, German counterparts just fly their national flag, admittedly some are defaced, but the ensign remains the same. I have decided that only the British could build a class system into Flag Flying,(I have known people join the cruising association just so they can fly the blue ensign). If I had my way, we could fly the George Cross, as do the Scots and Welsh with their National Flags. I do appreciate that this honour is reserved for the Dunkirk Little Ships, and do not wish to belittle their heroic efforts in any way, but whilst cruising in Holland during the last European Football Cup, to show my support I flew a massive 12 foot George Cross as a Battle Ensign. Sure enough along came Colonel Blimp and informed me I was not entitled, even though it is painfully obvious to anyone that a modern Beneteau Cruiser/Racer could never claim to be a Little ship.
I`ll just toddle off to my bomb shelter now to await the incoming.

andrewhopkins

Visit site
Incoming......

Don't worry, its friendly fire.....

I honestly believe that in 30 years when all the saddo grey bearded idiots with their defaced blue ensigns and 20 burgees are dead, the sailing community will become much more tolerant.

I actually like flying a red ensign rather than a Union Jack as I do like some of the traditions of sailing. I also dont mind people flying blue ensigns, however, I do mind anyone who think they know better than me and are arrogant about it.

Fly what you like, and upset everyone, its great fun baiting people.

If only John Lennon was alive and owned a boat, he'd show us all.....

G

I like to fly my St George Cross here on the Clyde and had no idea that this was reserved for the Dunkirk Little Ships. My Centaur is far too young to have been at Dunkirk, wonder if any one at the marina will notice!

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Come and share my bomb shelter

I proudly fly the red ensign, I always will and I'm a scotsman, if you want to be proud about what nationality you are, fly an appropriate flag. On the continent, you will see people proudly flying their national flags and regional flags. I understand the reasons for all the different ensigns etc. in Britain but, I also cannot stand the bullshit perpetrated by the yacht club bar brigade. So no incoming from me. Fly it and be damned! Colin.

johndf

Visit site
Re: Incoming......

Well, it's three hours since you posted this and no-one has yet complained about 'Union Jack' instead of 'Union Flag', but I'm probably displaying my own ignorance here as maybe when it's on a boat it is a 'jack' and not a 'flag'. I don't expect to have to wait too long to be told.

A bit more incoming friendly fire:
I joined the Cruising Association, but have stuck to my red ensign. However, I am seriously considering getting an RNLI members burgee!

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Knickers!

Jossboat and BrainJ

Well, if someone told me to remove a flag, jack, burgee, bunting, pennant, colours, banner, dishcloth, duster, coloured rag or whatever I'd be very inclined to think about flying some heavily soiled union jack knickers instead. The bigger the better.
Actually I guess I'd be embarrassed, upset and apoplectic in equal measure. Where on earth do people get the sheer brass neck from?

Americans seem very sensitive about their flag (respect!) - do they have to endure the same inane nonsense?

And . . .
What about these japanesey-chinesey fishy wind-socky things that lots of people are flying nowadays. Who gives-permission/controls-the-correct-use-of those?
Widow Twanky?

KrisHansen

Visit site

As far as I'm aware, the only time the Union Flag is called an Union Jack is when it's aboard ship... for some reason.

I always thought that there were some International legal regulations governing what ensign you wear in foreign waters, but that seeing as an ensign is not actually required in home waters for pleasure craft, who cares?

Well me - personally, I like the traditions, as it's one of the things that attracted me to sailing in the first place, and quite like to do things as they were a century ago. I was, however, amused to observe some emnity between two skippers wearing blue ensigns, both defaced, one for the Royal Navy, and one for the Royal Air Force yacht clubs. If that sort of rivalry is brought into it merely for your choice of club, it's a sad state of affairs.

I think, providing you are within the law, it's your own affair. Next time Colonel Blimp approaches, and if it's a Sunday, ask him why he's not practising archery.

- Kris Hansen

chas

Visit site

The reason is that you wear it on a jackstaff. It therefore becomes the Jack. Otherwise it is the Union Flag.

All flags are symbols and some undoubtably see more symbolism than others. In the RN, for instance, the ceremonies of Colours and Sunset honour those who have fallen while in the service. Perhaps there is not as much symbo;lism attached to the Red Ensign but I am proud to wear one!

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Damn yer eyes, you young whippersnapper

Disgrace to the old country. If you can afford it on your working-class pittance, buy Sir Henry Withering-Foreskin's book "Flag Ettiquette for Patriots, Empire Builders and The Gentry" and follow his advice to the letter, except for the chapter on choirboys, which is in dubious taste and has been outdated by more liberal laws.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
EEC

I do like the idea of the flag with the EEC stars in the middle with your national flag in the top corner. Tiz a pitty people get snotty about defaced Blue Ensign and £2000 fines (or there abouts).
How about a pennant starting with the EEC stars followed by union flag colours.
Would that be allowed?