Fitted coolbox - can I install a Peltier cooler?

Modulation

Visit site
My boat has a well-insulated fitted coolbox - about 3 cubic feet. I use those blue things you put in your freezer to cool the contents.
I'd like to fit refrigeration equipment but can't afford the proper gear. Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit Peltier equipment? Can I buy just the kit on its own and from whom? I know that I can buy a Peltier portable coolbox for a £100 or so but would much prefer to have something fitted. I am not looking for ice in my g&t - merely something which will keep things cool when I am cruising for more than a couple of days in summer.

Thanks in advance.

Brendan

PaulJ

Visit site
A lot depends on where you want to use it. In this country a Peltier job is probably ok for what you want most of the time. Ampair do quite a nice one - they call it the XC3000 for about £250. Have a look on www.ampair.com. They say it drops the temp about 25 degrees from ambient so if you can draw the cooling air from the bilge that should be OK most of the time in the UK. I thought long and hard about the Ampair but since I hope to go to warmer climes I opted for a compressor type in the end.

G

We had the same problem on our previous boat (Marieholm 26). In the end we bought a peltier coolbox with the peltier-element in the lid. With some minor alterations the lid fit the built-in coolbox onboard. Worked wonderfully, but do take account of the battery drain!

Miker

Visit site
I went along this route a year ago. There was quite a long thread on it. In the end I fitted a compressor and plate as I was concerned about the drain on the batteries of the Peltier system. Whether it was worth it for bacon in the morning and cold beer I am not sure, but I like the luxury! I also replaced my existing inadequate batteries and fitted a battery management system, so the cold beer was at quite a price.

VMALLOWS

Visit site
As already pointed out, power consumption is the issue. Even a tiny (0.5cu ft) peltier coolbox (very well insulated) is really out of the question unless you're motoring.

To stir up the debate, I use a 240v/12v/ and (oh no!) Gas absorbtion fridge.
240v is used whenever available. 12v when motoring for long periods because no wind. Gas when at anchoor, as long as its not too rough. The essential point with an absorbtion is that it is level.....I carry a small spirit level to adjust things when I dry. As far as I know ammonia (the refrigerant) is not yet banned..................

dick_james

Visit site
It can be done, peltier modules are available from Maplins or RS components for £40 to £50. If you start from scratch you will also need 12v fans and heat sinks and some form of thermostat. They can maintain a temperature differential of around 70deg. (at the module) it says in the Maplin catalogue although I always thought it was 40deg. For the volume you mention you may need two of the larger modules to bring the cool-down time down. Each module takes about 6 amps.
RS also sell complete assemblies of fan, heatsink,peltier module and cold block for about £140.

G

My view on the cost is as follows:

There are three choices:

1. Once you have spent the money, you have the satisfaction of having something that you want.

2. Don't spend the money and leave it in the bank, which leaves you with that satisfaction - if that is what turns you on.

3. Spend the money on something else that you might not really want.

Miker

Visit site
Get what will really do the job. If you compromise to save cash you will probably regret it later. Having said that, shouldn't we all have bought a bigger boat?

Modulation

Visit site
Dick

Thanks for the answer.
It adresses my issue quite accurately - not always the case on this site!
Can you please let me know if RS have a website - they sound rather interesting.

Happy Christmas,

Brendan

Visit site
I fitted one of those...

in our last boat. It worked fine but we increased the consumption of the "Economy" setting to 1.6 amps and therfore we found that following the initial cooldown on "Max" (about 5.5amps) the lower setting kept the box at about 30 below ambient, the factory setting at 1.0amp was of no use being enough to flatten the battery without any perceptable cooling effect. However the very efficient "Hunter" coolbox helped. Can't say that the Waeco compressor fridge on our new Bavaria is any better.

Steve Cronin

ps for increased cooling and energy saving, not to mention always having the right accessories for G&T's we always keep a large screw top plastic container full of ice cubes in the fridge.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I have a supercool unit for sale if you are interested. It worked but requires good insulation and draws between 1.5 and 6 amps, best used with shore power or engine running to cool down. It will get to 25 to 30 C below ambient if the coolbox insulation is good.

RAG @ STICK