Fishing for food in the med

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We've fished in the east and west Med and never caught anything. UK to Gib you should catch something. We use two 50lb rods, 50lb line, different colured lures on a wire trace (change colour if you don't catch something) and Penn multiplier reels.

scoty

Visit site
fish where,?

I·ve been here and there in the Med; for ten years and the best fish comes in box·s,
but, pulpo (octopus) are easy to catch in the Med.

Close to shore line is fished out, more interesting is the seventy meter deep waters, be carefull some fish are now protected from being fished.

Ric

Visit site
The one thing I have learnt about fish from trying to catch them in the Med is how intelligent they are. If snorkelling, I can sneak up to within a few metres of fish - as long as my spear gun is hidden behind my back. As soon as I bring the speargun into view, they scarper. Fish are a lot cleverer than you might think IMO.

telford_mike

Visit site
Ionian - Abelike Bay, June 2009. Would have needed a few dozen more to make a meal though.

09061904.jpg

blueglass

Visit site
as others have said - forget the fishing and just enjoy the sun.
It never ceases to amaze me when you watch fishing boats unload their "catch" of small fry that back home you wouldn't even bother using as bait. I don't know how they get away with it. The concept of undersized just doesn't seem to exist.
Spotted "fresh cod" on a menu in Greece last year and ordered it. It was certainly cod, but we were served two whole fish each to make up a meagre helping.