Fishfinder help

m1taylor

Visit site
Hi,

I read with interest the post on fishfinders vs depth sounders - its seems that the former get the thumbs up. I need to fit either a depth sounder or fishfinder on my boat as I am in very tidal waters, and at moment worry about straying too much from the marked channels even though my boat only needs about 20 inches of water. I understand how a depth sounder works and is set up with a in hull transducer. Can anyone tell me how a fishfinder is set up? Is it any different? Also can anyone recommend a basic entry level model for under £150 that can be mounted in open cockpit and easily set up?

thanks in anticipation

<hr width=100% size=1>

gjgm

Visit site
unless you want colour , you can get a good model for under 100. I have the garmin ff 100, althought they now also make a lower spec, ff80 (which seems to cost about the same!)
On the FF100, you get about 5" screen, cable and transducer. there s plenty of posts about how to check the rght location for fixing the transducer in hull with epoxy or silocone, so I wont bother repeating here.
Just make sure when you use it, you are not in simulation mode...
you can set specified depth (ie screen only shows 5-10metres) or auto, where the screen will show all depth.. that is , if its 3m deep the screen shows all that, when is 20m it automatically changes to show all 20m. You can have temperature, time,change fish symbols, switch on/off various alarms for depth or fish. Supposedly, you can analyse the type of screen reading to understand whether you are looking at solid (rock) bed , sand, mud etc.
If you can use a screwdriver and a tube of glue, you ll manage to fit it!
Only draw back of having one, is that you are so amazed for the first few outings that you forget to look where you are going!
Only bitof kit I ve come accross in baoting that I thought, this is a bloody bargain!

<hr width=100% size=1>

lydiamight

Visit site
Just bought and installed a Piranha Max 15 fish finder from the manufacturers of Hummingbird. Purchased it from West Marine whilst I was on holiday in the USA--cost from memory was $89.95 i.e. around £50.00.
Great thing was that you don't have to drill a hole through the hull to mount it--just epoxy the transducer on to the inside of the hull.
Dead easy to set up and really great value

<hr width=100% size=1>

lydiamight

Visit site
Just bought and installed a Piranha Max 15 fish finder from the manufacturers of Hummingbird. Purchased it from West Marine whilst I was on holiday in the USA--cost from memory was $89.95 i.e. around £50.00.
Great thing was that you don't have to drill a hole through the hull to mount it--just epoxy the transducer on to the inside of the hull.
Dead easy to set up and really great value

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
Hello m1tayler I will be getting a reputation as a nutter but I like to suggest alternative solutions.
I see you are a new comer and have a 17 ft boat. I am assuming it is not a bilge keel boat if it is diregard all that follows.
On a yacht you have a wonderfull foolproof depth sounder called a keel. You may be nervous about running aground. Don't be. The trick is to plan and think clearly about your departure strategy when you do run aground.
You need a stout pole ie spinnacher pole use this at the bow to turn the boat in a direction from which you can sail into deep water hopefully on a reach. (don't try to push the boat off just use it to turn the bow) Keep all sail up and use the sails sheeted tight and crew weight leaning out pulling on stays to lean the boat and lift the keel. With practice and confidence you can escape before any but your own crew know you have run aground. I have a lift keel on mine but would never dream of lifting it on grounding and have frequently in a race lost only 50 odd metres in running aground and escaping again. Try it you won't be so afraid once you have tried it and escaped. Regards will

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
does that approach work when you hit rocks or coral? maybe you wont have to lift anything, or you might not have anything left to lift?

<hr width=100% size=1>

bruce

Visit site
watch for angle of bottom, try to mount as vertical as possible, if necessary, you can take a piece of pvc pipe and cut end to match angle to make vertical, bond it to hull and fill with water or mineral spirits, mount transd in cap, put cap on

<hr width=100% size=1>

chrisarvor

Visit site
we have just fitted the eagle 160 i think thats the model it cost £69.95 from compass watersports and it works atreat .i siliconed the transducer in the hull and the graphics are adequate . i already have a simrad colour and it picks up the weed and fishjust the same even though the screen is small but another toy for under £70 what do you want!!!!!!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

aitchw

Visit site
My FF100 came with a transom mount transducer but I am concerned about water turbulence affecting it when motoring. But as many another must use it there successfully perhaps I shouldn't worry. We'll know come August when she goes for her first trip under my ownership. She's a 16' triple keeler.

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldharry

Visit site
@transom mount'transducers can usually be used in hull on GRP, but not on wood. The transducer needs to be emchanically connected to the hull either by hard glue, or by water. If yours is the tyope of boat that always has a little rainwater in the bilges, just put the transducer in that clear of any keels etc, and see if it works. Otherwise build a little reservoir with plasticine or blue tack, filled with water , to check the transducer works where you want it to. Proper through hull transducers are available for most makes of Fishfinder, and which look and mount just like a conventional depth sounder, but are really only needed for wooden hulls.

<hr width=100% size=1>